The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have obtained a Remington Woodsmaster 740
It appears to have been manufactured July 1959
The problem I am having is identifying it.
After days of searching I can not find any info or photos of one like mine. Mine has a stainless colored barrel, receiver, magazine and butt plate.
It has beautiful walnut stock.
The fore stock has (7) diamonds on lower side, the grip area has checkered design.

I would like to find out some more about this gun, am curious as to why I have not been able to locate another one like it.

Also curious as to rarity and value for insurance reasons. I'm not interested in selling as it is a family hand me down.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Pictures.

Off the top of my head, your gun has either been nickeled or chromed, because they did not make stainless steel guns in 1959.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is my Woodsmaster 740 a unique one?

I have obtained a Remington Woodsmaster 740
It appears to have been manufactured July 1959
The problem I am having is identifying it.
After days of searching I can not find any info or photos of one like mine. Mine has a stainless colored barrel, receiver, magazine, sling rings and butt plate.
It has beautiful walnut stock.
The fore stock has (7) large diamonds on lower side, the grip area has checkered design.

I would like to find out some more about this gun, am curious as to why I have not been able to locate another one like it.

Also curious as to rarity and value for insurance reasons. I'm not interested in selling as it is a family hand me down.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Curious, is the receiver made of steel or Aluminum?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The 740 was a large caliber rifle discontinued in 1959, I don't think Remington used any aluminum then. Like the others I can find no listing for a 740 in nickle. That doesn't prove it wasn't made that way, it only proves I can't find a listing:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It is steel and if it has been done after production then they did a fantastic job, it looks factory done. Even the smallest lettering and stamps are colored same but no appearance of filling the lettring. I love the look of it. Just had never seen another one like it! I got the matching (3) rd mag, (4) (10) mags and about 500rds of ammo with it. It shoots wonderfully, silver dollar grouping at 150yds with 10 rd mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree.... been refinished. I have '57 740 cal 06. Best deer rifle I have owned. Never jammed or misfired. Gone thru 3 clips at the range without jam or lockup. Taken deer from 50' to 250 yrds. See thru scope. When I get back this fall will take pics and post. LOVE this rifle. Short, sweet and will put anything down, with the right round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts