The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I'm preparing to shoot in my first IDPA match and I'd like to reload a lot of 9mm for practice and for the match. My go-to 9mm load is a Berry's 115 gr RN over 4.2 grains of Tite Group. The problem is - without access to a chronograph, I have no idea if this load will meet the minimum power factor of 125. I would hate to find out on the day of the match that my ammo does not meet the power factor requirement.

For those of you who handload and compete, does it sound like I have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello, all. I'm preparing to shoot in my first IDPA match and I'd like to reload a lot of 9mm for practice and for the match. My go-to 9mm load is a Berry's 115 gr RN over 4.2 grains of Tite Group. The problem is - without access to a chronograph, I have no idea if this load will meet the minimum power factor of 125. I would hate to find out on the day of the match that my ammo does not meet the power factor requirement.

For those of you who handload and compete, does it sound like I have anything to worry about?
I know this reply is 3 months late, but I just got here!
That load should get you around 1143 fps from a 5" barrel and give you a power factor of about 131. Obviously a longer or shorter barrel will affect velocity.
If this is a local match it has been my experience that they don't get all twisted around the axle about power factors. The bigger matches, you bet they will!
I found that info over on another site while researching loads for my wifes gun.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this reply is 3 months late, but I just got here!
That load should get you around 1143 fps from a 5" barrel and give you a power factor of about 131. Obviously a longer or shorter barrel will affect velocity.
If this is a local match it has been my experience that they don't get all twisted around the axle about power factors. The bigger matches, you bet they will!
I found that info over on another site while researching loads for my wifes gun.
You're great! Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
You're great! Thank you for the help!
Are you in Crook County, Oregon? If you are, I'm NE of you in Union County.
We have local matches here (defensive pistol, no IDPA association) the second Saturday of the month starting in March, if you feel like a road trip!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you in Crook County, Oregon? If you are, I'm NE of you in Union County.
We have local matches here (defensive pistol, no IDPA association) the second Saturday of the month starting in March, if you feel like a road trip!
No, I'm not. Unfortunately, I'm in Cook County, Illinois. I call it Crook County for obvious reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts