The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,894 Posts
Hey Guys, I haven't read all the posts, but enough to ascertain the very important and unique
question that was posed...I noted several of them mentioned me and that's great..So often
when I welcome some of the new troops on board, I openly mention that I have other interests
than guns, but do admire those of you who demonstrate such a finesse in the discussion of
handling, repairing, and using your wide range of the devices...I suppose that old farm boy
in Iowa was as adept as any of my classmates with my single shot Remington .22 or my
410 shotgun Father Cross had given me when I dogged for his pheasant hunt. My uncles
16 gauge, hammer less double barrel that I took pheasant hunting...I forget the manufactures
of the guns... I remember every little gal back in those school days ...somethings seemed
more important. Usually, the term I use on here visiting with the newcomers is that I have other
interests ...convince me that you, loving handling one of your guns is more self-satisfying than
my giving some little child a rocking chair I have made... Yeah Firpo, I personally look on
you guys as friends....Met JD/Steve first and we were buddies on the land line or here on
the screen...Still miss him...I can't ever recall talking guns with him ....I still have some
of the things he sent as momentos...Peace be with you all and your families...I'll hang
around....did I ever tell you about meeting Mickey Rooney in Dundee, Iowa about 1942?
Best Regards, Chief

·
25,894 Posts
The way I have heard it, Chief was here before we were. The original forum was The Vietnam Memories Forum that was founded on 31 Jan 2001, which is about a week before TFF which was founded on 9 Feb 2001. Again, the way I understand it, when TFF needed a host/server we joined with the VMF and it was agreed that the name would be The Firearms Forum.

If that is incorrect, someone correct me.
That is perfectly correct Sir....thanks for the memories...there has been many and still
blazing a trail for others coming...You've done good Mr. Moody...Respectfully, Chief

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I remember I stumbled upon this site. Every seemed level headed, and knowledgeable. So I joined. Some time I think I ask the stupidest questions, however, it is some thing I would like to know. Every here seems to be close nit, I like that. For black powder try, Muzzle Loading Fourm. Nothing like the Flash, Bang of a flinter. Thank You every one

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Me personally, I joined about 7 years ago looking for information on an old IJ Safety Hammerless and found a group of friends that shared the same love for firearms. Thanks in advance and really looking forward to learning just what drew you here.
Sounds like we followed a similar path to TFF. I should begin by stating I'm not a social media addict. TFF's the only site I hang out on, and I've found a group of friendly like-minded folks only too willing to help out with information when they can. Even touched base with several fellow friends of Bill W. My path to TFF was an inquiry regarding a Webley revolver I'd acquired. The other sites I'd visited asking the same question all seemed kinda snooty, and others seemed to be engaged in endless arguments, flaming, insults etc. Not my cup of tea. Gave up on the Webley question but just for the heck of it browsed other firearms sites. On finding TFF I knew I'd found my new on-line home.

·
9,099 Posts
Hey Guys, I haven't read all the posts, but enough to ascertain the very important and unique
question that was posed...I noted several of them mentioned me and that's great..So often
when I welcome some of the new troops on board, I openly mention that I have other interests
than guns, but do admire those of you who demonstrate such a finesse in the discussion of
handling, repairing, and using your wide range of the devices...I suppose that old farm boy
in Iowa was as adept as any of my classmates with my single shot Remington .22 or my
410 shotgun Father Cross had given me when I dogged for his pheasant hunt. My uncles
16 gauge, hammer less double barrel that I took pheasant hunting...I forget the manufactures
of the guns... I remember every little gal back in those school days ...somethings seemed
more important. Usually, the term I use on here visiting with the newcomers is that I have other
interests ...convince me that you, loving handling one of your guns is more self-satisfying than
my giving some little child a rocking chair I have made... Yeah Firpo, I personally look on
you guys as friends....Met JD/Steve first and we were buddies on the land line or here on
the screen...Still miss him...I can't ever recall talking guns with him ....I still have some
of the things he sent as momentos...Peace be with you all and your families...I'll hang
around....did I ever tell you about meeting Mickey Rooney in Dundee, Iowa about 1942?
Best Regards, Chief
Yes you did tell us the story of Mickey Roony, very interesting Sir.
I Sir consider you and many others friends.
As you know you are one of the few that I follow, which means what you type, I usually read.
Thank you Sir for sharing your stories.
My honor.

·
Administrator
25,005 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing.
Join a gun forum and never talk about guns ??
One recently left our membership rolls and a couple
more will be leaving soon. I mean we ARE a gun forum
and I don't recall anyone ever inviting a troll. Go figure ???

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I joined for the free NRA tactical bag but for some reason TFF has never sent it to me.

Go figure. Even without the tactical gun bag, I decided just to hang out anyway. Nice bunch of folks here even if no one ever talks about guns.

But in reality, I got banned from about 3 other "gun" sites because I dared to call Libtards, Libtards, and they didn't give me an NRA tactical gun bag either.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I also wanted to add that after the sale of the house I can't wait to take up trap shooting again and and get my carry permit!!! So I'll be able to be more active in the firearm forum....
I'm also sorry to see people abuse the hospitality here....

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I joined after searing the web for places that I could get reloading information. I landed at a forum that was more of a bashing/flaming forum. where fighting between members was more normal than help. Ditched it and found TFF in a goggle search. TFF is now my home. I do belong to 3 other sites 2 of which are Military Firearms related the 3rd is Mainly a Muzzle loading/cast bullets site. I feel like Family here.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
When I joined back in '08 there was a lot of stuff going on in the suburban communities in my town that made me wary of every car that drove past my house. We lived at the time in a cull-de-sac neighborhood and if you didn't live there, you didn't have any need to be there. So, I was looking for information on how to tweak and tune my "riot gun" in case I had to use it in the house. My original question on this forum was about which is the best gun magazine.

An almost lifelong, avid motorcyclist, most of my forum participation has been on motorcycling forums, and on one of them there is an active firearms section. Of the motorcyclists there, about half are Vietnam veterans and three in particular are experienced reloaders. My occasional gun question was answered there. For other questions, I queried people I know locally. For example, I'm part of the Marine Corps League detachment where I live, and one of our members was an armorer in the Corps. She is a walking talking repository of technical information, practical experience, and anecdotal knowledge and will generously spend as much time as one needs to make sure they have their question answered.

In 2015 we moved to a developed neighborhood and I had to take a new look at home defense. So I began reading again, browsing here and on a model-specific forum to read about small gun safes. Unless I want carry every waking moment at home, I need to leave a handgun in each side of the house for easy access. But rather than hide it in a book case or filing cabinet, I want it secured in a quick access, one-gun safe so I don't have to worry about a grand-kid finding it, or an intruder getting a-hold of it and using my own weapon against me.

This next observation got past me early on, but of late reading here I've become aware of the Christian-friendly culture. I'm a graduate of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (MDiv, 1985, dual-majors in Old Testament, and Counseling). Over a 40 year run in the ministry I have been full-time for about half that time, and bi-vocational for the other half. What that has to do with the "why are you here" question is that I appreciate finding other Christ-followers out in the rough and tumble world. Additionally, I appreciate finding an internet community where people of faith do not have to deal with a cultural attitude that is, in effect, a form of intellectual racism.

I tend to be active in seasons. I'll post regularly for a while, then get busy with other stuff and seem to disappear.

Best to all,
Rick

·
25,894 Posts
You old Flirts!!!! How about that pretty Flag Cake she does for the troops
birthdays? And then there is that one with all the guns and ammo..nuff
to make all you Old Gunners quake and shudder!!!! Chief

41 - 60 of 91 Posts