If you want a manual safety on the new M&P, can you just order it?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Wotan, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Wotan

Wotan Member

I've noticed a lot of gun shops(when looking on their website), carry the M&P Full size without the manual safety. I actually like a manual safety, frankly because I'm new to firearms. Would I have to seek out the full size version with the safety, or could the manual safety parts just be ordered and added to the gun later?

2. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

LGS here offer both with or without safety, you can have safety model ordered if not in stock

joe45c likes this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I am not new to guns but wouldn't own one without a manual safety. You can order the S&W M&P with a safety. I have a S&W Shield and got the one with the safety. A lot of folks don't like them but I do.

joe45c and Wotan like this.
  4. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Active Member

Having carried and shot untold rounds with pistols of this type I find the manual safety a redundant item that is only in the way on a self defense weapon that I want to be ready for immediate action if necessary.
    A sister agency required the officers to carry their mod. 39’s with the safety on and trained taking it off when Pistol was put into action. I had no such requirement with our officers making the choice their own. After an incident where the neighbor agency had numerous officers deployed and press photos were taken of them i was concerned that about 40% of the officers still had he safety engaged when it would be expected to have it off. Upon review with the photos in hand, many of the officers did not realize they left the safety untouched.

5. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Having a thumb safety is an intelligent item to have on a firearm.Ayoob has documented over and over officers lives that have been saved because perp couldn't(didn't know about) get safety off.It's a personal thing,I had 10ring put one on my G19,I want a thumb safety.....just practice 20min every night drawing-I don't realize I'm swiping safety-it's ingrained-2-3000 repetitive actions ingrain it.....Some like them,some don't..hey,there's even people that shoot remingtons:)

gvw3 likes this.
  6. Wotan

Wotan Member

This will be my first pistol I fire and once I move, carry. So, I want to get used to a manual safety.