The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had no luck finding #11 percussion caps. It seems musket caps are available. So I was thinking of converting to using musket caps. I've never talked to anyone who has replaced the nipple and done this. Good idea?? Things I need to keep in mind??

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I've had no luck finding #11 percussion caps. It seems musket caps are available. So I was thinking of converting to using musket caps. I've never talked to anyone who has replaced the nipple and done this. Good idea?? Things I need to keep in mind??
That will work just fine. I wouldn't use CCI musket caps tho, they're very weak.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,940 Posts
The shop where I worked prior to the kungflu breakout had boxes of #11 caps, and never sold a one all the years I was there. I don't know if they still have them, but PM me if you want their phone number.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Suggest you get 1 that uses primers, small rifle I think.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Keep lookin', there's caps available. Unfortunately I can't tell you where.

If you must change I'd think the only challenge would be getting a musket nipple with the correct threads, no?

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
103 Posts
One issue with converting to a musket nipple is the alignment of the hammer nose to the nipple. There must be direct contact or you will get alot of misfires. May need to either shim out the hammer or bend it in. I do not recommend bending the hammer as they can easily snap, and once #11 caps become readily available to you again, it may require that the hammer be bent back again and it is sure to break then.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
One issue with converting to a musket nipple is the alignment of the hammer nose to the nipple. There must be direct contact or you will get alot of misfires. May need to either shim out the hammer or bend it in. I do not recommend bending the hammer as they can easily snap, and once #11 caps become readily available to you again, it may require that the hammer be bent back again and it is sure to break then.
Thompson hammers can be bent without breaking them but doing so requires a welding torch and red heat. This will of course remove the case colors turning the heated spot a dull grey.

Reactions: sharps4590
1 - 9 of 9 Posts