The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to reloading, i was told H110 is a good powder for .357 magnum, my Hornady book has a minimum load of 17.4 gr with a 125 gr Bullet a Max charge of 19.9. on Hodgdons site they show a Mimimum charge of 21 gr at close to 1900 fps i dont know what bbl length that is out of but that sounds way fast,ive also heard it is Dangerous to download H110 should i ignore the Hornady chart?and use Hodgdons? i am confused! Please Help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think you are just fine at the lower loading referenced by the Hornady manual as a starting load. H110 (and 296) carry a warning about under loading and creating a squib load with a detonation hazard. The powder charge listed as minimum should be just fine. Personally I would be surprised if you will even be able to get 21 gr. in the case. Just work up your load watching for pressure signs as you go. I would advise that you don't use a lead bullet; stick with jacketed when using this powder.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
If there is any type of contradictions, I prefer to stay with the powder-maker's chart.

Many years ago, I had a Winchester pamphlet giving load data for 357 using 296 powder. They said, "Use exactly as listed. Do not go under or over that data". They said that 296 was dangerous, unless it was loaded JUST LIKE THAT.

WW296 and H110 is the Exact Same Powder. Made by the same company, in the same powder plant, and put into two different bottles.

So, if you should not deviate from the data for 296, because it is dangerous to do so, then you should also not deviate from 110, because it should also be dangerous to do so.

I've noticed, though, that the load that Hodgdon's site lists for 357, 125 JHP, using WW296 is not only NOT THE SAME LOAD that Winchester used to list (18.5 grains), but that Hodgdon gives both a starting and a Max load (21.0 to 22.0).

That's very confusing.

Not a lot of help, was I?

I still load 18.5 grains, and have had no problems with it. Been loading that for 30 years or more.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I favor 2400 in place if W296/H110

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have no desire to use H110/W296 for pistol loads anymore. I've developed too many squib loads that stuck in the barrel with it, even using correct charge weights.

last batch I did was 18. somethin' grains with 125gn projectile, most went bang, some stuck in the barrel and the powder never burned. Just weird stuff.

I use longshot now for most of my .357, give that stuff a whirl, it's juicy!

Reactions: jbmid1

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Thats a crimp issue AA. Any time you get a magnum powder that doesnt burn and cause a squib load then it is 99% of the time because there wasnt enough crimp to keep the bullet still until the powder ignited and began to burn. H110/W296 is a very hard to start powder. a heavy crimp/ magnum primer must have..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
you're right JLA, H110 is hard to get going. I had a moderate crimp at best on my trial and error with this powder a few times, it was just inconsistent, seems like it needs tons of special attention. Winchester small pistol magnum primers also...

Powderburner, I would start with something else that doesn't require a bunch of different things to get right. Not that it's impossible, but with something like 2400 and most others, you will have less issues outta the gate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Powderburner, I would start with something else that doesn't require a bunch of different things to get right. Not that it's impossible, but with something like 2400 and most others, you will have less issues outta the gate.
I agree with this 100%, and wish guys on these forums would stop recommending H110/W296 to new reloaders.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
A while back I had a conversation with one of the technicians at Hodgdon specifically about H110. He told me that it is designed to work at maximum pressure for the specific cartridge it's being loaded into. It should get a good crimp to maximize the pressure and to use a magnum primer for ignition. I use 8.5 grains of Unique for my 125 grain .357 loads, with a standard small pistol primer. Not real hot, but very accurate and controlable. By the data it appears to be about 1200-1250 fps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont feel comfortable using the H110 after hearing from you guys,Thank's i guess i will load with Unique, i also have Blue Dot but i heard you shouldnt use Blue Dot for 125 gr Bullets,i guess i wasted my money on the H110, reloading was supposed to save me money,not working out that way so far.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
it will save you money in the long run, just think, next time you go to roll some boolits and you are out of powder, then remember you have a can of H110 laying around 'for free'

H110/W296 is a great powder for .410 shotgun btw, it has it's place there as a good reliable (and safe) powder to work with.

Don't write it off completely, once you get comforatable with reloading, you will find that although difficult seeming at first, it's really not a huge issue using stuff like H110 so long as you follow some guidelines and most importantly, understand WHY those steps/components are necessary.

but I still hate the stuff for .357's, I just use it in my .410 shells now is all. Reloading pistol ammo will save you about 50% give or take.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I dont feel comfortable using the H110 after hearing from you guys,Thank's i guess i will load with Unique, i also have Blue Dot but i heard you shouldnt use Blue Dot for 125 gr Bullets,i guess i wasted my money on the H110, reloading was supposed to save me money,not working out that way so far.
You didn't waste your money. Use the H110 but do not go below the manufacturers listed minimum charge, apply a good uniform crimp and set it off with a magnum primer. The H110 is for hot loads for maximum performance, not for plinking loads, although it is generally recomended to use heavier for caliber bullets, rather than the lighter ones.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You never know. One day you will load for .44 mag and you will be set for powder. I use it for .44's and for .50A&E. A pound doesnt last long when you are using 23g up to 32.5g per bullet.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
The last .357s that I loaded I used H110, which is kind of unusual for me cause I normally use AA#7. I always use only H110 in the .44.

·
Registered
603 Posts
296 is a great powder for use in magnum pistol and of course .410. I buy it by the keg and have put literally thousands of rounds downrange in both the .41 mag and .410. It's the best powder for a 170 gr. Sierra Power Jacket in the pistol, except for the two foot muzzle flame.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
except for the two foot muzzle flame.[/quote]

Yeah. You should see the flame coming outa my Desert Eagle .50.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Heck, I'd get a 2-foot flame with 296 from my 6" Python. You should see what comes out of my 2 1/2" 19.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts