The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in Feb. I accidently dropped my .357 expander/decapping die, and broke the expander part of the die. Not just the pin but the threaded portion of the die the nut screws on to capturing the pin in the compression sleeve.

Attempted contact with RCBS via the customer service/contact us page requesting information regarding a replacement expander/decapper portion of the die.
It took over two weeks to recieve any sort of reply, and that reply (understandably) requested the printed information on the top of the die. Replied to RCBS with that info and no reply. I've since resent that info requesting parts information twice since then INCLUDING the origionally requested information stamped on the die and to date no response has ben forthcoming. I finally found a replacement expander/decapping assembly on fleabay BUT RCBS has lost my business.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
spottedpony:

RCBS is not the only manufacture that is slow or never responds. I can name many that have done the same to me. But "don't throw the baby out with the wash water".

RCBS makes excellent die sets. To eliminate them as a choice is a mistake. There are other choices, I suppose, like Hornady (I can tell you stories about them, if you wish) or Lyman or Forester or Redding or even Dillon. But my experience has been (after reloading for over 25 years on my Dillion RL550B for over 30 different cartridges) that RCBS gives you the best value and precision in their equipment and dies. I do have other's die sets and they all work well enough but in most cases they also might be priced higher. I will also tell you that the LEE die sets work fine but the quality of the internal machining is no match for RCBS or any of the others. I still think the RCBS sells the best die sets for the least money.

If extremely good service is what you are looking for then buy Dillion dies. They are very pricey, work the same as others, but Dillion is the industry leader for service. Few match it and many have had to change their service quality to try to match Dillion's.

So choose wisely and be more forgiving of RCBS in this time of high demand for anything related to guns and ammo. All the gun and ammo and reloading equipment makers are working very hard just to supply the demand and they are far from succeeding. The "masses" are demanding more of anything related to guns since OBAMA won his second term and targeted guns. Answering Emails has to be pretty low on any gun related manufacture's list as it is on all of our own lists.

Peace!!!!!

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
I have to agree with LD.

I've found rcbs warranty to be good. they have sent me small parts ( decap stem ) screws ).. for a couple items that broke in normal use, that shouldn't have. etc.

·
Super Moderator
28,076 Posts
If you would have picked up the phone and called them, I bet you would have had a replacement in your hands within a week.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,438 Posts
If you would have picked up the phone and called them, I bet you would have had a replacement in your hands within a week.
When I called RCBS from the UK about replacement parts for a well-used press, the rep asked what parts, I told him and asked how much. He asked for my address, and said that it was covered by the lifetime warranty. No charge. About a week later I had the new parts. California to the UK. I was impressed. The phone worked that time.

·
Super Moderator
28,076 Posts
Due to my own negligence, I bent the stem in my universal decapping die. I was really going to town on some 357 brass and didn't get one all the way in the shellholder and rammed that sucker home, bending the pin and stem. I called RCBS and explained what I had done, admitting guilt, no problem, had a new stem and 2 bags of pins in 4 days. No charge.

·
Premium Member
18,788 Posts
Sorry to see you are having a problem with rcbs, for me they have been top of the line . Each time I have had a problem with their products they have only asked what part I need and I got in a few days, no charge.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I'm with everyone who said to call them. I have been having problems with my 5-0-5 scale and when I called they said to send it in with a note explaining the problem and they would fix it. Granted it took a while to get through but they were very helpful.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Back in Feb. I accidently dropped my .357 expander/decapping die, and broke the expander part of the die. Not just the pin but the threaded portion of the die the nut screws on to capturing the pin in the compression sleeve.

Attempted contact with RCBS via the customer service/contact us page requesting information regarding a replacement expander/decapper portion of the die.
It took over two weeks to recieve any sort of reply, and that reply (understandably) requested the printed information on the top of the die. Replied to RCBS with that info and no reply. I've since resent that info requesting parts information twice since then INCLUDING the origionally requested information stamped on the die and to date no response has ben forthcoming. I finally found a replacement expander/decapping assembly on fleabay BUT RCBS has lost my business.

"I accidently dropped "

now how is this RCBS' fault exactly?

you broke it, you buy a new one.

I don't think RCBS will miss your "business" too much, I know they won't lose any sleep over it.

RCBS is a fine company and like all of the industry related companies they have been very overwhelmed with orders.
Bash them if you want, it won't matter to me

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Due to my own negligence, I bent the stem in my universal decapping die. I was really going to town on some 357 brass and didn't get one all the way in the shellholder and rammed that sucker home, bending the pin and stem. I called RCBS and explained what I had done, admitting guilt, no problem, had a new stem and 2 bags of pins in 4 days. No charge.
I did the exact same thing 2 months ago and frankly I never thought to ask them. I got lucky and found the part and some extra pins on Midway

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cut RCBS some slack, if you check the major suppliers you will see that almost all of their dies are out of stock, which means that they don't have any inventory lying around. In a month or so they will ship you a new die at no charge. Every manufacturer is swamped and way behind in production.

In over fifty years reloading I have never had RCBS fail to come thru. I had one of the early production Green Machines, it was a major disaster someting was always broke on it. After about a year they asked me to ship it back to them UPS (their expense) so they could fix it. After about a month they sent me a check for the full retail, shortly after that they took the Green Machine out of production. If you find one for sale, RUN don't walk.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Very simple, call 1-800-533-5000. I have never had a service request unresolved for more than 3-4 minutes, and furthermore never been charged for a single part. BTW, the above poster is spot on; "you broke it you buy it" rules here, RCBS wont miss any customers that want something for nothing, so what is it they owe you? Although many have been manipulated to believe computers and technology can replace humans in the workplace, there's nothing that will EVER replace a friendly voice and a phone call, try calling them next time, and lighten up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just had to chime in.
RCBS has been EXEMPLARY over the 50 years I have been reloading.
Cannot honestly say I actually remember anything from 50 year ago but over the past 10 or more they have been outstanding in CS.
I always tell them when it is my screw up that broke or bent something and I always offer to give them a credit card # for payment and never, not once, have they accepted it.
My repair part is usually in my mailbox in less than a week.
I cannot fathom any company, anywhere giving better service than ATK/RCBS.
There are some that are as good like Dillon and Hornady but none better.
To the OP if you are finished with them because of service you did not receive you will be bitterly disappointed with others.

Good luck,

Gary

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Great service for me too. Bought a scale at a liquor/gun store. No box. Fairly cheap. Called them up and they said sure, send it to us and we'll make sure its calibrated good. Got a brand new one in box sent back about a 1 1/2 weeks later.

I know its the digital age, but pick up a phone, and talk to a live person. Bet you get better service.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I broke a part to one of their dies a few months ago......called them about it and the sent me a replacement right away. I think it was just a few days before I got my package....actually several of the same part (just in case I guess). They are a great company to deal with IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I broke a decapping spindle and requested a price for the spindle and pins. Within a day they responded and said they would send the parts out under warranty. I am very impressed with the service. I then E-mailed back and said thank you and they E-mailed back again and said"No problem and enjoy my reloading". Outstanding service in my opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like everyones missing my point. It's all about LACK OF COMMUNICATION. I chose to use the email form and have attempted communication via that method. After the initial reply requesting additional information from me, (WHICH by the way was provided to them,) I've tried multiple times with no response to my communication attempts. If their email/online forms are so unreliable then those methods of communication shouldnt be available.
While I do agree RCBS does build quality products for the most part, and I've used many of they're products since the mid 70s, its not about whether or not a certain product or part is available, its about communication, and I simply wont support a company that cant be bothered to respond to my questions via the method i've chosen.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
perhaps you are missing the point??

have you niticed that since oh.. say DECEMBER that firearms related industries have been totally swamped. They aren't setting there feet up looking at your emial saying. lets let this guy stew another week before we go off break and answer him.

They are busting their buts trying to turn out product to fill orders to retailers and warranty requests from the small fish like us.

I use CH, lyman, lee and RCBS dies. I have no doubt that the rcbs are among the best dies.

you wanna jump up and down and pout because they haven't completely halted business and kissed your boo-boo... do it. you wanna stop using a high quality die because YOU BROKE YOURS go ahead.

Patience is a virtue especially in reloading.

·
Premium Member
18,788 Posts
Well either you can hold to your stance of trying to solve your problem though the Email route , or you can have it taken care of by simply by calling them. 312 shooter provided you the # 1-800-533-5000. You most likely will have your problem solved, and you will be able to express your concerns to a real person about their email problems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts