I'm giving up hunting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

KimberRuger
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/22/01 8:54:36 pm)
    | Edit | Del All I'm giving up hunting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the first time ever, I went out on amatuer day. I've always called opening day "amatuer" da because this is the one day of the year some of the jackasses who hunt actually shoulder their firearm. The rest of the year, the gun sits in the closet - no practice, not "familiarize" yourself with the weapon - just collect dust for 364 days.

I hunted in NY with my brother and an older friend. Monday was opening day. On Tuesday, I found two dead does - both fawns (deer so small I personally would have never shot). Yesterday, (Wednesday), I found another small fawn and two full grown doe - dead - just wasting away, and saw three other deer that were wounded (just out of range for me). Then, in the afternoon I was hunting some real thick, briar infested, 5 year old logged area of tree toppings when I heard three shots. I knew where the guy was sitting because I had walked past him only an hour before. Not even 5 minutes after the shots, a mother and her fawn came past. The mother was limping, I could see where she'd been wounded in the left foreleg.

I should have shot the second I realized she was wounded, but I didn't have a doe permit (in NY they issue special tags for antlerless deer), plus I didn't want to ruin someone elses hunt. So I sat and waited for the guy to come through tracking the deer. 30 minutes ticked off. OK, they guy is playing it samrt - he doesn't want to push the deer, he thinks she's just going to lay down and die. 45 minutes click off. Nothing. An hour.

So I go to where the guy is sitting - no-one. I walk over to his upside down bucket and pick up his three spent shells (NY is a shotgun only state where I hunt). I wait for him to come back. Now an hour and a half has passed. Still no sign of him. I flip his bucket over - there's his drag rope. What's he think he can coax the deer back to where his spot was ?

I go back to where the deer most likely crossed through by where he was sitting. Sure enough - hair. Follow the tracks (no snow, but the leaves were a telltale sign). Blood - not a lot, but still a trail. Keep tracking - right past where I was sitting.

I followed the blood trail/tracks through at least 100 yards of thicket, overgrown with raspberries and other misc. briars, and small saplings so thick a rabbit would have second thoughts. Across 20 feet of tall grass, across a raod, another 20+ feet of tall grass, over a dozen logs, and up through some pines. Once she crossed the road her tracks were joined by several other tracks from countlss deer. It took about an hour to find more blood, but perseverence paid off. I followed for another 200+ yards through the pine/hardwood mix, sometimes only having a spot as big as this <"O"> to go by, but nevertheless, it was a trail.

All in all, I tracked someone elses wounded deer for 6 or 7 hours before I lost the trail. I tried for the last two hours of daylight to find a sign of which direction she went without any luck. Too many other tracks, no snow, blood spotting seemingly disappeared ....... damn !!!!

In my 20 years of hunting, I've never witnessed so much wanton waste of meat and life. I am so thoroughly disgusted I think I am going to give up the sport forever rather than be associated with a$$holes like this.

And ..... if by any chance you hunt in Mayville NY, and you fired 3 rounds at a couple of does on Wednesday from an orange Home Depot bucket and then walked away ........ don't ever, never EVER, let me find out who you are - I'll kick you in the b@lls so friggin hard you'll wish you could go lay down and die with that deer.

My apologies to the board for this post - I'm just so thoroughly and totally disgusted I'm seriously thinking of giving up hunting.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/22/01 9:15:39 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: I'm giving up hunting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KR, no the feeling well and have seen it first hand too. It does discust me too. Our property lines several other places and some that only have access through ours, we own ours and abut a five thousand acre tract that is land locked. One of the few routes in is through our property and we allow others to access it. Over the last 7 years, we have been shot at (not on purpose) found left game and every other thing you can imagine. These are from the one day hunters as you have mentioned, they lease or buy tracts down where we are and the change yearly as tin horns buy it, then lease or resell it. One advantage is that we will try to buy the smaller tracts as they come on the block. I know that is probably not the case in your regard, but I mention it for this reason. I will never let what some tin horn did to make me feel less of a deticated hunter and respecter of the game I hunt....no matter what.

I, like you, do not enjoy the bitter taste these people leave behind. They will not rob me of the pleasure of the crisp morning or the elusive game I pursue. Take a breath and a step back, don`t let these types ruin it for those of us who relish our time in the woods...whether we come home with a prize or gameless...."it is the hunt." LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

the real fredneck
    (11/22/01 9:19:48 pm)
    KimberRuger
    don't give up hunting over the behavior of a few assh*les, I don't know anything about NY but would imagine that there are a lot of folks in the woods there who are pretty out of their element/environment, the same holds true here in MO, you can find "hunters" sitting in the woods with their AK's & 30rd mags (even though 11rds are all that's allowed) and if you ask them why they'll say they need firepower (yeah, sure, you bet, them deer shoot back real fast) anyway we're losing hunters at a rate of 4% per year, the anti's love that statistic because hunting is the best reason (politically) for allowing the 2nd amendment to remain on the books used to be hunting was for us poor-assed hillbillys and country folk now it's became a rich man's sport and they do have political influence

polishshooter
    (11/22/01 10:01:44 pm)
    I grew up in New York, and yeah, there are plenty of slob hunter's there, but as much as anywhere else I would say.

The WORST is in Ohio! Only a ONE week gun season from Monday-Saturday, and EVERY yahoo takes a weeks vacation and it's amateur WEEK!

Incidentally the only state I lived in that kept a running tally of HUNTERS shot...DUH!!!! Extend the damn season to AT LEAST 2 FULL weeks, not the stupid three days they tried when I lived there...everybody STILL only hunted the first week, no kill on the Mon-Wed extra days SO they concluded an extended season would not work...

You think opening days are bad, try the LAST day in Ohio...guys go restaurant to restaurant in the morning "recruiting" guys for "desperation drives" and you will see pickup loads of guys getting dropped off, guys that NEVER drove before and don't know each other...look like Orange Afghan militia on a sweep...one year a guy got shot and they didn't even KNOW it for three days...I stayed the HELL away from those damn drives...I hate drives anyway, they never get anything but the young and stupids anyway, and it is REAL dangerous if the standers and drivers don't know each other and have discipline. The amateur ones should be OUTLAWED, in my book. 50 or more desperate "city" hunters in a small patch of wood is asking for trouble...

That's why I like Indiana...Starts on a Saturday, ends on Sunday two weeks later, you just hunt weekends, and Thanks giving, and you have more days thatn in Ohio...

And you can really "hunt" during the weekdays.

Another thing, I saw more "wanton waste" in NY then any other state I've hunted, I think because of the old "Party Permits" they used to have...5 guys allowed to kill ONE doe between them, what FOOL thought that up????

I know (Knew?) several "parties" who said if you see a doe, shoot it, we'll keep the biggest one...

Teaches newbies it's OK!!! Needless to say, I did NOT hunt with them if I heard about it first, never hunted with them again if it happened, AND once threatened to turn them in if they didn't tag the button they killed...

Now wastage CAN be a different matter...most guys do NOT know how to track, that's a fact...plus, many times hit deer do NOT indicate they were hit!

My doe Saturday did NOT react, if not for the flag not up, and that I saw her ears lay back, I MAY have thought she was a "miss" the way she went up and over the hill at full speed, in fact, when I saw no blood where she crossed, I ALMOST shot another doe while gutting the buck, but something made me think I had to go check again, and when I found her, a CLEAN two lung shot with VERY little blood!!! NOT the way it should happen in my experience, a "newbie" could almost be forgiven for giving up on her.

I too have wasted prime time on tracking "marginals" both mine and others, and once spent almost all night with my son with flashlights when I found a TINY blood drop on a doe right before dark I thought I had missed clean, until I lost it in the rain...I HATE that feeling, BUT if you are honest, over the last 30 years or so I've hunted, have I got every deer I KNEW I hit, much less didn't know I hit??? No, and I'd bet neither have you... If some guy found it later, I'd bet he was swearing at ME, too!

But it REALLY is up to us to TEACH newbies stuff like that, right? It IS the newbies coming in that is the future of the sport after all...

WE have to teach them that IF they shoot, no matter how or how many times, they HAVE to check for blood, I figure if I shoot EVER, it's at least 2 hours per shot searching for the blood trail...

If not US, WHO?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

polishshooter
    (11/22/01 10:06:02 pm)
    BTW, how long is the season now in New York?

I grew up and hunted about 30 miles south of Buffalo, in southern Erie County...

If I remember right, it was 5-6 weeks in the 70s and 80s...I left in '81...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/23/01 4:33:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I'm giving up hunting
    I used to work with a guy that had a 100-yard rule. If it didn't drop in 100 yards he didn't go after it. I didn't talk to him much.....
    The Trademark Of Reliability

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/23/01 7:10:40 pm)
    Kimber, your little story really disgust me. I can't stand people like that.

I took my youngest son(6 yrs) hunting for the first time a few weeks back. We set up on a great spot that was sure to give us a hog or a deer. We were there for about 3 hours and the little guy was doing GREAT. He was as quiet as a mouse. The sun was almost about to set(perfect time) when out of the blue here comes this 4X4 spinning tires and doing donuts in the clearing. I knew he seen us cause he looked right at us.(plus them orange vest are hard to miss). He still didn't care, cause he came to within 50 feet of us. It was him and a lady friend and a little boy about 7 or 8. Scared everything around I'm sure plus ruined what was turning out to be a great afternoon. I vowed then and there to save my pennies and buy my own track of land somewhere. People can sure ruin and destroy what public lands we have left. Just typing this makes my blood boil all over again. If my son wasn't there, I might of had it in me to flatten two of his tires.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/23/01 8:44:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I'm giving up hunting
    I lived in upstate NY in the country, I was having coffee
    one morning after opening the shop when I noticed right outside the window some a$$hole shooting at one of my
    dogs because he thought it was a deer, shooting from
    the middle of a town(traveled)road mind you!

I went outside disarmed the a$$hole and told him what
    might happen if I even saw him again within 10 miles of
    where I was living.

Beautiful countryside in NY but I moved many years
    ago and now reside in another state where my gun
    rights aren't infringed upon.

The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 11/24/01 3:29:56 am

KimberRuger
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/23/01 10:02:17 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: I'm giving up hunting - Polish, Flhunter & TAC
    Polish:

Your words of encouragement as far as educating the next generation have not fallen on deaf ears I assure you. I'll admit there is another reason for not wanting to continue this fine tradition ....... I was SO pi$$ed that if I would have seen the a$$hole, I probably would have tossed a couple of ounces of lead in his vacinity - probably real close - maybe too close for him to actually walk out on his own ..... "ooops, a hunting accident". It was that particular moment of pure rage that made me think maybe I shouldn't be in the woods with irresponsible, unethical, immoral f#ckn#ts like him.

Deer season runs for a few weeks for bow (not a bow hunter, so I'm not sure exactly how long), then two weeks and 3 days (I believe - they didn't have any regulation booklets left, but it didn't matter, I only had a week) ..... maybe it's 3 weeks and 3 days ....... then another week or so for "primitive" (read black powder). I left on Thursday morning - blew off 3 perfectly good days worth of hunting to get the hell away..... which only angers me more at that particular #@%^&$@# !

Nowadays the old "Party" system is but a memory ..... now they issue up to two doe tags per hunter, depending on herd size and number of requests. I agree, the old system was one of the most wastefull things I have ever heard of - talk about encouraging poor behavior !

Hey - Flhunter - I was born and raised in North Tonawanda, bought a house in Tonawanda 5 years ago before moving to Charlotte. Mayville is almost on Lake Chataqua .... but I have hunted in Hinsdale and Ellicotville for years, as well as a trip or two to Humphrey, Belfast, Springville, Farmersville, Little Valley, Great Valley and a few other nearly forgotten towns.

TAC: What part of "upstate" are you from ?

To the rest of those who responded, thanks for the words of encouragement ...... I'm just not positive I can tolerate idiot people like that...... but thanks anyway.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/24/01 3:33:42 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I'm giving up hunting - Polish, Flhunter & TAC
    KR,

I was living in Ulster County NY but left NY
    many years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.