I'm in a slump, need advice

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by 68c15, Apr 16, 2019.

1. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

We had another meet last night for benchrest league. I seem to be stuck in the 220-230 score range out of a possible 250. My major hang ups are cheek weld and holding rifle steady. More so the steady.

The problem is my class requires a factory stock. The fore end of my Axis is rounded and tapered. The curve doesnt match my Lead Sled front rest very well. I'd like to find a way to get it to fit and slide like an F class unit. The rear stock has a similar issue but I can deal with that for now since I feel the front is the bigger problem.

2. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

Your rest is part of the problem, in my opinion. Also, the lead sled holds the stock from behind, correct?? Get a set of bags, like an f class set up, and let the rifle free recoil. Not letting the rifle recoil back forces the barrel to rise, inconsistently, if only a little.

Just my :twocents:

3. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

Are you allowed to add to the stock to raise the comb for a proper cheek weld?

Ugly, but it works. Old sock (to protect stock), folded paper towels, electrical tape.
    28329B07-2398-4213-864A-53139CF03B25.jpeg

Something formable (sand bags) front and rear.

flboots, tedwitt, drymag and 2 others like this.
  4. 68c15

I didn't make it clear. I robbed the front part of my Lead Sled and bolted it to a truck brake rotor. I use a rabbit ear bag on back.

I have an idea, just need to find out if it's legal. I'm thinking I could cut a groove in forend and line the inside edges of groove in stock with nylon. Then have a peg sticking up from the rest which fits into said groove. My theory is it would hold rifle steady both vertical and horizontal yet allow recoil straight back. And it would serve as a return-to-battery stop

5. 5150

5150 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that make it a little hard driving down the road??

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Your kind of competition is strange to me - I only competed in Military/Service Matches and Small Bore Rifle.

If you are allowed to use a fixed support from a shooting bench (?), and your problem is the mechanical support on the front of your shooting platform doesn't match the contour of your rifle's fore end - why not just modify a support to fit between the mechanical rest and your rifle fore end? One side to match the contour of the fore end and the other to match the contour of your support device, then covered with leather or similar material. Just a thought.

We used to place a strip of masking tape on the stock to assure a consistent spot for a proper cheek weld. That is no modification to the rifle.

carver, tedwitt, drymag and 1 other person like this.
  7. 68c15

My idea is illegal, can't modify the stock even if you can't see it from the side.

I took some influence from Broot and stacked a bunch of blue shop towels until I had a good even picture with a very firm and memorable check weld. Then I went to remove the bolt, damn riser is 1" to far forward. I'll trim some off today if the boss leaves me alone. I measured, the front 1 1/4" of the riser isn't needed for me. It's as ugly as sin but if it works I don't care.

I had some very, very quiet range time yesterday morning. Funny how I had the place all to myself on Easter. I played with different bags and rests. My favorite system is a Caldwell X bag up front with the trigger guard just behind the bag, super solid. And it seems to be quite repeatable to reset after each shot.

I also picked up a 30mm scope level. I never would have guessed the 2x4 target boards were not level. I'd been using them as a reference point to set my crosshairs parallel to. Not any more.

We will see how tonight goes. I'd like a 250-25x (perfect score) but I'll be happy with a 235

flboots, tedwitt, drymag and 4 others like this.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Patches, tedwitt, drymag and 2 others like this.
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

While all these are good ideas, cheek weld and exact same hand grip are very much in play to squeeze out those extra points. I used a lefthanded rifle for my legal shooting.
    Cheek weld and grip stay in place while the bolt is cycled with the worthless opposite hand. FWIW

But of course you could simply do the reach around.....er over.

carver, ysacres, tedwitt and 3 others like this.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I get in slumps at trap shooting. Keep at it and it will get better. Don't overthink it.....

carver, ysacres, tedwitt and 3 others like this.
  11. 68c15

B.E., that's not far from what I did. I used blue shop towels and duct tape from hell. Once I got the height and angle I put a layer of stretchy bandaid type fabric over the top. Don't tell my wife, I stole that fabric from her craft room. It gives it a nice pleasant surface. Now I get a full view with my cheek bone planted solid onto the riser and it's very dependable for repeatability.

carver, tedwitt, Broot and 2 others like this.
  12. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I know what I am saying may sound elementary but sometimes the answer is right in front of our faces. Close your eyes as you assume a shooting position to find your cheek weld. Open your eyes, if your scope is mounted properly you should be looking straight through the scope. If you have to move your chin up or down to see properly than you should consider getting the appropriate rings for the scope according to how you had to adjust to see through the scope clearly.

ps

When I read the title of your thread I thought you were referring to something else and was going to recommend a "blue pill".

carver, ysacres, Broot and 3 others like this.
  13. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Some bench rests places your body with your neck craned so to speak. That tightens the muscle and changes the shape of the arteries and veins such that they thump and pulse a bit harder. You will even feel it in your finger if sensitive enough. Those thumps against the cheek and finger can work agains you. It will even change the oxygenation exchange a bit. I can feel it at the range I mostly go. They must of had short small people in mind when making the benches.

carver, BlackEagle, ysacres and 3 others like this.
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Are you pressing the trigger between heart beats ?

carver, Patches, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.
  15. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

You are saying build an adapter, correct.

carver and ms6852 like this.