I'm in a slump, need advice

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by 68c15, Apr 16, 2019.

1. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Had me wondering too till I read a bit further.

carver and ms6852 like this.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That is what I am saying - an adapter for the rest to fit your rifle - NOT to make an adapter to make the rifle fit the rest. That should be allowed.

tedwitt, carver and Broot like this.

3. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Yes. And halfway through an exhale.

I did a practice run yesterday and scored 242. The weather was dead calm and sunny. Tonight I scored the highest of everyone, even the unlimited class. My score of 223-1x was drastically impacted by the wind. At the firing line no wind, 25 yards was 9:00, 50 was @ 6:00, 75 was @ 8:00, 100 was 7:00. They varied from 5-25. I would have sold each and every sight picture before, during and after shot. My rest system along with cheek weld and discipline were damn near perfect.

The next change is to make the mag follower into a sled style. I found it very hard to keep cheek weld after mag change and empty extraction. I'll also remove the ejector from the bolt but keep the extractor.

My procedure is use left index finger for trigger with that thumb behind guard, run bolt with right hand, right thumb-palm pad holds lower front edge of butt stock, and right hand extracts empties. I think this is all a good system for me except the extraction.

Next week is 200 yards again. Ugh

4. 68c15

Here's a couple pics showing my riser and bag system
    20190422_181940.jpg

Attached Files:

tedwitt, carver and BlackEagle like this.
  5. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

That’s a fair bit of height, like what I had to do with my 100 ATR + 6-18x50. I suggest using 1” electrical tape as the wrap. This way, you can get the materials compressed a lot tighter, and more secure.

You may want to keep the comb narrower, about the width of original. Fold the rags into narrow strips like an accordion. This should allow the comb to fit into your cheek more naturally. You shouldn’t have to find the position in any way. Mount comfortably, with eyes closed. It should be comfortable, relaxed, and feel the same every time...comfortable and secure. Now open your eyes and it should look nearly the same every time.

For that height, I’d suggest at least three lifts, each wrapped, to make sure it’s rock solid. Before completely wrapping (but tight), check your left/right positioning of the riser material with your eyes closed, to verify you are looking through the scope centered.

But first, I’d suggest lower rings. You want some clearance between barrel and scope, but that is quite a bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    tedwitt, carver and BlackEagle like this.
  6. 68c15

I think I like shooting 200 yards more than 100. It shows where you need work.

Last night was my turn to do 200 again. With my 16x scope it wasn't easy to see the targets, let alone tiny little 22 cal holes in it. But I still had a good feeling about 19 of the 25 shots, 6 of them I know I pulled and that was because my breathing wasn't spot on. This 6 scored on average 6 points each as opposed to the rest being 9's and 10's with a couple 8's.

I found my rifle's level was dead on with the target boards so I didn't have to move and look at the level for each shot. The single feed system worked very good, just drop new round onto sled and listen for it to stop rocking before I gently closed the bolt. Then I took and held aim while thinking about my breathing. Inhale, exhale, inhale and exh-BANG-ale with a steady rhythm.

At this point I am starting to wonder if the barrel is going away. I've got almost 2000 rounds through it. Maybe a good rigorous cleaning will help

7. hollowhunter

hollowhunter New Member

My take is you need better equipment. A better front rest with a narrow #1 bag. A joystick rest or atleast top is the direction I'd look, but a good cast iron base with a windage top will do. In your case I'd also set up the scope with a steel rail and GOOD heavy steel rings that lower the scope as much as possible and remove that contraption you have taped on with 200mph tape.

Powder your bags for a smooth recoil, and test to find out where the gun likes to be the the bags. Test your holds to see what works best. Everything matters, and catching the rifle the same way everytime counts. I shoot factory class too, and we work with what is available. Good shootin...

tedwitt and carver like this.
  8. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Take a look at what the best shooters are using, and how they have their equipment set up. That might give you some ideas.

gvw3, tedwitt and BlackEagle like this.