I'm In Trouble......

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Firpo, May 1, 2017.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think I just may. Had myself a great month although I probably need to slow down. When it comes to guns I'm like an addict looking for their next fix. I should probably go shoot the Pietta this weekend and see how it goes. If I like it I see where Midway is selling the Uberti 1860 Army for $329 which could be pretty darn cool too. At least I found a range that's close where I can shoot BP. I'm just wondering if the Pietta is going to be more like a pop-gun. 15 grains is the max charge and the Uberti lists 30 grains. I'm not one of those that necessarily needs a big boom but at half the charge it does have me wondering if I'll have to aim 3' over the target at 25 yards to be on the bull? Like I said, I'll try to contain myself for now but no guarantees. Heck, I still need to upgrade my safe. Found a Browning 40 gun for $2000 delivered to the front steps.

:rolleyes:

Here's a picture off their website

IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    joe45c and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

A Uberti full fluted cylinder 1860 Army was my first handgun purchase after arriving in Alaska. It's a great looking revolver - wonderful fit and finish, and now that I've FINALLY gotten my hands on some Pyrodex P I'll be seeing how it shoots when the weather warms up a bit. Just a guess regarding Pietta's 15gr charge vs. the Uberti's 30, but I'd say the lower charge is recommended due to the Pietta Confederate Navy's brass frame.

BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.

3. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Yeah the 15 grain recommended charge is for brass frames. The steel frame Piettas will handle as much bp as you can stuff in them and still seat a ball. Uberti doesn't list low charges because they haven't made a brass frame in many years. They don't make fantasy guns that never existed like Pietta does.

Kweeksdraw and soundguy like this.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pietta has had some rather interesting grip shapes too.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Yes they do. Actually the old style Pietta tail is fairly historically correct, it's the flare on the front of the grip frame that gave it that ridiculous bell shape. They changed to a more correct shape in 2015 but they're not as slender as they should be but then Pietta loves extremely obese grips. I have a Pietta Remington navy made in 76 and the grips are very slender. More like originals than the fat monsters they make now.

Kweeksdraw and soundguy like this.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I need to correct this. They do make a few fantasy guns like the target and buffalo models. I was referring to the brass frames when I made that remark.

7. brushhippie

brushhippie Member

Gotta correct yourself on this one huh Hawg!? lol

Kweeksdraw and gvw3 like this.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Shaddup Brushy! :D I figured I better do it before somebody else does. :D

9. marlin795

marlin795 Well-Known Member

I have a Pietta Remington New Army that I really love. I just realized I have more Pyrodex, .454 balls, and caps for that thing than I have ammo for the rest of my guns. Need to pick up a few more .44 revolvers.

soundguy likes this.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Watch out, they multiply fast! Next thing you know, you will have 7-8 of them!

Hawg likes this.