The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Savage 110 flat top receiver made in 1993 for .270 Win

when I chamber a fire-formed case the bolt closes real nice.

After resizing the case it is hard to close the bolt. I took measurements of the resized cases and they match the SAAMI specs found in my Speer 14th book.

when I run my winchester brass through my RCBS full length sizing die it fights me almost to the point of being a stuck case during both the up and down ram movements (herters super model 3). I have the die set to just kiss the shell holder and the decap pin is just shy of 1/4" below die base.

If I remove the bolt and drop fireformed case into chamber it wants to bind before it fully headspaces. If I do the same with a resized case it drops in and out easily. I then took the decap-expander out of die and had the same press binding issue. If I take the case that has been resized without the expander and put it into the chamber it drops in and out freely.

Last winter I forced the brass through the process and did a ladder test using JLA's procedure. Even though I had issues with hard bolt closing I continued and found a load that ended up with .7" grouping at 100 yards.

should I have it checked for a out of spec or damaged chamber? Should I look into neck sizing only? I don't have any factory ammo to try but I can find some tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you know someone with another set of dies, I'd try them and see if the same issues are present. Also, as is the herters a C frame press? If so you may be getting a slight spring in the press thats deforming the case slightly as the press springs a bit off center. Has your brass been fired numerous times? you might need to ream the case mouth. over thick case mouths can meet saami specs but due to thick walls be a touch oversize after a bullet is seated.
Last thing, since you indicate sized cases meet saami specs, a chamber casting may be in order. If the chamber reamer was out of spec, could create the same issues. Rereaming the chamber may be in order, or perhaps a set of small base dies might solve the problem.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i'd for sure see what facory ammo does, droppingit in before i did much else.

·
Registered
387 Posts

After resizing the case it is hard to close the bolt. I took measurements of the resized cases and they match the SAAMI specs found in my Speer 14th book.

when I run my winchester brass through my RCBS full length sizing die it fights me almost to the point of being a stuck case during both the up and down ram movements (herters super model 3). I have the die set to just kiss the shell holder and the decap pin is just shy of 1/4" below die base.

If I remove the bolt and drop fireformed case into chamber it wants to bind before it fully headspaces. If I do the same with a resized case it drops in and out easily. I then took the decap-expander out of die and had the same press binding issue. If I take the case that has been resized without the expander and put it into the chamber it drops in and out freely.

Last winter I forced the brass through the process and did a ladder test using JLA's procedure. Even though I had issues with hard bolt closing I continued and found a load that ended up with .7" grouping at 100 yards.

should I have it checked for a out of spec or damaged chamber? Should I look into neck sizing only? I don't have any factory ammo to try but I can find some tomorrow.
I'm confused -I'll admit not hard to do-
In the beginning you say a fireformed case bolt closes easy but a re-sized
case binds.

Yet later you say with the bolt out a fireformed case binds and a re-sized case drops right in. Just checking if I follow correctly.

As for being hard to re-size what kind of lube are you using and how much?

To spottedpony I have a herters super #3 press I dont think you could flex it with a sledge hammer those presses are about 30lbs of cast iron:eek:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I read it the same way, so im confused too. Id make sure there is plenty of good lube first. Then make sure to de-bur the case mouth. Then check case thickness of the mouth. If all is good, try another set of dies. It is possible that you found a bad one. The good part of that is is that RCBS will most likely stand behind them and replace them.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
if there is another 270 and some factory laods to A/B with that would be nice. including another set of dies.

got any buddies that also do 270?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Youre warping your brass somehow Todd. Try taking one of your processed cases and smo0ke it with a candle. then chamber it and see where its dragging.

I bet spottedpony has something. If that press is a C press its likely warping the case as you force the fired case thru the die.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
any wear or play wher ethe rame moves. could it be moving up at an angle?

shell hold set in it square? IE.. is shell holder malformed and bent cocking the brass a degree or 2?

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys, fireformed works fine, the resized ones bind. I'll try the candle thing Josh. A friend of mine has some loaded ammo that functions fine in his M77. the press is not the problem. It works flawlessly for all other calibers. Not to mention how it is stronger than just about any thing I have ever seen. My friend has a set of dies that I am going to try processing a couple and see if that makes a difference.
if all else fails I will look into getting the chamber cast. I hate to get it reamed as it shoots so damn good I dread the thought of changing it.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
68c15:

A couple of things:

Did you size the brass then trim it? That is the correct order to keep within the specs. The sizing lengthens the brass so the trimming must be done after sizing.

I have a Browning BAR that missed the second chamber reaming in a two part chamber reaming process. When the bolt would close (recoil spring slammed it closed) the bolt would be near impossible to open as the bullet was jammed into the sharp edge left by the first reamer of the two reamer process. Inspect you chamber with a light to see if the transition to the rifling is an angled ramp or a square edge to see if your gun suffers the same problem. A chamber cast would be helpful too.

Do let us know how this turns out. It is an interesting problem.

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
might also make up a dumy round or two with projectiles seated farther out and see where you are getting rifeling contact.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
If I am reading this right???

Have you checked your headspace after resizing? It sounds like the shoulder is hitting the chamber as it is entering. The fireformed brass is naturally fit for the chamber but then after it is resized (full length) the headspace seems to be changed. Try the candle trick on the shoulder and I believe you will find this may be the case. When full length resizing is the resizing die hitting the shell holder?

I hope this helps.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, the FL die is just kissing the shell holder. I will do the candle thing tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
sorry guys, fireformed works fine, the resized ones bind. I'll try the candle thing Josh. A friend of mine has some loaded ammo that functions fine in his M77. the press is not the problem. It works flawlessly for all other calibers. Not to mention how it is stronger than just about any thing I have ever seen. My friend has a set of dies that I am going to try processing a couple and see if that makes a difference.
if all else fails I will look into getting the chamber cast. I hate to get it reamed as it shoots so damn good I dread the thought of changing it.
Thats the great thing about handloading, you can tailor you ammo and not have to ream your chamber. (unless there is something obviously wrong with your chamber) I think smoking the brass will tell ya what you need to change about your die set-up. Most likely be the sizing die, but also a chance it's with your seating die/depth.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I'm not an expert but I do have a question, What Die Set are you using, could it be the Dies are a bit out of tolerance? You might try a Hornady Three Rifle Die Set!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try adjusting the die lower so the die comes into full contact with the shell holder and then try resizing the brass again.
Do as above. Then when sizing a case at the top of the stroke, look and see if the shell holder and FL die are still in contact. If not, screw die dowm more and put more muscle into it. Make sure you have the correct shell holder so the case is in alignment with the die. Maybe clean the shell holder also. Stop using spray lubes. Get a RCBS pad & lube. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Resized case without expanding button drops into chamber correctly? Only thing changing is neck expansion. Check the diameter of your expander, I would be willing to bet it is oversized.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Resized case without expanding button drops into chamber correctly? Only thing changing is neck expansion. Check the diameter of your expander, I would be willing to bet it is oversized.
expander is .2774

I just did the candle thing. I'll post pics as soon as my camera battery is charged up. Very interesting results. The fireformed case has the soot "removed" from just about the whole shoulder except for the end .033 while the resized one still has .110 of soot on the small end of shoulder.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
as per suggestions I adjusted the sizer up until it sized .285 of the neck. Then I smoked a case and chambered it. it came out looking the same as a fireformed one and it also runs through the die so much better. I think I will label the dies as being for Deliela (my .270's name)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts