The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I learned today that I am not the man I thought I was! I shot a deer this morning, a large doe. By the time I had field dressed the deer, and got it back up to the house both ham strings felt like I had been doing squats with 300 lb barbells! Not to mention the pulled muscle in my back, and the one in my side! God help me, I'm really feeling old! I will be starting an excerise program in the morning. For the first time in my life I loaded the deer on the trailer, and hurried to the nearest game processing place I could find!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Congratulations on getting your deer. The aches and pains are just mother nature telling you getting old is not for sissies.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
And I learned today that I am not the man I thought I was! I shot a deer this morning, a large doe. By the time I had field dressed the deer, and got it back up to the house both ham strings felt like I had been doing squats with 300 lb barbells! Not to mention the pulled muscle in my back, and the one in my side! God help me, I'm really feeling old! I will be starting an excerise program in the morning. For the first time in my life I loaded the deer on the trailer, and hurried to the nearest game processing place I could find!
Welcome to my world.;) It's getting so that I can't load a 250lb log in my pickup anymore (which is easier than a 150lb deer, btw). It's all in the technique. :D

·
TFF Chaplain
21,999 Posts
Congratulations on the deer. Sounds like a good size; should go a long way toward filling your freezer.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to my world.;) It's getting so that I can't load a 250lb log in my pickup anymore (which is easier than a 150lb deer, btw). It's all in the technique. :D
Yep, that limp dead weight is a killer! That log won't bend in three, or four, places when you try to load it! I really do think that a lot of my problems this morning came from sitting on my butt too much. I'm down to 225 lbs, from 280 in January, but I'm not working it off, I'm dieting it off. That's gotta change! And thanks for the congrats guys, but this is all old school to me. Kinda like my survival techniques, I know what they are, and I know how they work. But right now I probably couldn't use more than a couple of them!

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Congratulation on the deer and the weight loss. But I hate to tell you that while the exercise will help we are just getting to that point where the body won't let us do the same stuff we used to do. But that doesn't mean we can't still get out there and enjoy. I have found there is nothing wrong with asking one of the young bloods to lend a hand.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yep, that limp dead weight is a killer! That log won't bend in three, or four, places when you try to load it! I really do think that a lot of my problems this morning came from sitting on my butt too much. I'm down to 225 lbs, from 280 in January, but I'm not working it off, I'm dieting it off. That's gotta change! And thanks for the congrats guys, but this is all old school to me. Kinda like my survival techniques, I know what they are, and I know how they work. But right now I probably couldn't use more than a couple of them!
The spirit is willing, but the body says no way. ;)

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Dang Carver, that means your getting old. Next time call JLA, he lives kind of close to you. That doe will be DEEEELISIOUS. :D

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm right with you, only I haven't lost the weight yet. Usually one of my sons is available to come help load a deer, however I asked for one of these for Christmas just in case. It's the Everlast Hitch Hoist. Goes into your trailer hitch and swivels to load the deer.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ForE...WT.z_mc_id1=sRP1BJcKy&rid=20&pcrid=8195079777

Also, congrats on the doe. I smell something good cooking. :)

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm right with you, only I haven't lost the weight yet. Usually one of my sons is available to come help load a deer, however I asked for one of these for Christmas just in case. It's the Everlast Hitch Hoist. Goes into your trailer hitch and swivels to load the deer.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ForE...WT.z_mc_id1=sRP1BJcKy&rid=20&pcrid=8195079777

Also, congrats on the doe. I smell something good cooking. :)
That's a nice rig! I have some big pine threes on my place, some of them up close to the house. I rigged a rope, and pully in one of them, so getting the deer up in the air for skinning, and quartering isn't a problem. Dragging one to the house isn't a problem either. I have no problem dragging a 150 lb deer with a rope. I can also use the Garden Tractor to drag one. I have bad legs, so it was the field dressing of the deer that got me down. Can't get down on my knees, so had to do it standing, and bent over! Pulled some muscles in my side, and back, and am sore, and stiff in my legs too. When the sorness is gone, I'll be starting an excerise program!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now that you have recognized that gravity works better after 50-60 etc. you have to preplan better. There is on old saying
" If you can't dazzle them with speed and strength just use stealth and cunning.
I understand your problem at 75 I have to pre plan my work.
To move gear or a deer in the woods I use a plastic roll up kids sled treated with Armorall on the bottom and straps to tie the deer/gear on plus a rope and strap to drag the thing. Believe me it is slick and if on a slope the deer will take off all by its self.
Lastly we cannot do things as fast as we once should, we must think fast and move slow and smart. Simple things like the sled, 3/8 inch twisted nylon rope (braided rope seems to make knots over tighten)and a small pulley plus knowing the taunt line hitch allow one to move almost anything.
A carabiner attached to the front of the truck body plus a pulley can be used to hoist the deer into the truck.
Fasten one end of the rope to the deer then through the pulley and the other end to a tree. Allow the truck to drift forward very slowly and by alternating some lifting guidance and forward movement you can get the deer into the truck body. My Chevy allows the tailgate restraining cable to be undone to allow the gate to be removed. I just undo the cable and allow the gate to droop downward making sort of a ramp. You can also get two double sheave blocks which will multiply your force by 3X.
If you learn the taunt line hitch you can tie one end to the deer, run the other through the pulley and tie the hitch so you have a loop with the hitch on the middle side of the loop. You then pull only the hitch side of the loop perpendicular to the rope using your body weight to extend your loop side outward, then slide the hitch to recover the rope and moving the deer.
If this idea seems difficult it is not.
Try it in the back yard with a loop clothes line to tighten the line.
As a side note this technique can be used to move almost anything, even a stuck truck, ATV. boat etc
So much for pre planning- but I feel it is better than a physical therapist to undo back strain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts