The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't help it. I got interested in compact 1911s a while back and didn't think I needed one. I found out about the Rock Island BBR 3.10 in .45 ACP that holds 10 rounds though and well... Yeah, I watched it at my local Palmetto State Armory store for a couple of months and finally had to do it.

I picked it up yesterday and just unboxed it and took the trigger pull reading. It was high at north of 7 lbs.
Air gun Font Electric blue Trigger Gun barrel

I shot it to get it sighted in a bit and check function and then got to work on the trigger. I just did some polishing on the internals and light stoning on the hammer. I also set the trigger overtravel correctly. I didn't replace any parts on this one. I adjusted the trigger return weight and sear weight on the leaf spring until I got it like I wanted it.

It came in at a little more than 2.5 lbs. after I did that work, nice and crisp, but not too light.
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gas

After finishing sighting it in with the improved trigger, I did one final 5 round group at about 10 yards, free hand and standing. This thing is just absolutely FUN to shoot. It's ported and absorbs much of the recoil you'd expect, but don't get. It's pleasantly comfortable if you're okay with the short grip. My pinky rides the bottom of the magazine.

The front sight was the only disappointing thing on the gun. It's just black, with white dot adjustable rear sights. So, I painted the front sight bright orange. It helps a lot with quick acquisition.

Here are some 'glamour shots' I took today with my target from yesterday... That's 5 rounds in the target. 馃榿
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gas

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Grass

I do have an EGW guide rod assembly coming because I've heard a ton of stories about it disintegrating the guide rod bushing. Easy insurance fix when it gets here...

Super Moderator
Smallest .45 I own is a Star Firestar, and it's heavy for it's size. With 230grn hardball, you better hit it with your first shot, because the muzzle blast and recoil won't let you see the target for a quick second shot. My 200grn target loads made a huge difference though.
What ammo did you use, and was that target more than 10ft away?:)

Registered
Very nice! I'm with @TRAP55 that I'd probably shoot myself with something that small. But it sure looks like it shoots great for you. Outstanding work on that trigger!

Will this be a carry piece for you? I may have an old cell phone case that you could hide it in :p

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smallest .45 I own is a Star Firestar, and it's heavy for it's size. With 230grn hardball, you better hit it with your first shot, because the muzzle blast and recoil won't let you see the target for a quick second shot. My 200grn target loads made a huge difference though.
What ammo did you use, and was that target more than 10ft away?:)
Just Winchester white box 230 grain hard ball...

Registered
"It's ported and absorbs much of the recoil you'd expect, but don't get "
That's some impressive porting for a 230 hard ball. How much does it weigh?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice! I'm with @TRAP55 that I'd probably shoot myself with something that small. But it sure looks like it shoots great for you. Outstanding work on that trigger!

Will this be a carry piece for you? I may have an old cell phone case that you could hide it in :p
Thanks!

It won't be a carry piece right now. I want to get the guide rod assembly changed out and shoot it some more, preferably with some JHP rounds too. It's 'chonky'. 馃ぃ It fits in at least one of my 1911 holsters though, despite the wide grip. It's a good gun for working around the yard and possibly hiking, I think. 馃榾

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"It's ported and absorbs much of the recoil you'd expect, but don't get "
That's some impressive porting for a 230 hard ball. How much does it weigh?
Rock Island says 2 pounds. I haven't weight it, but I believe them. Loaded weight would be interesting though. 馃榾

Deer Stalker
Love those compact 1911's. My high capacity "short" barrel Para Ord P-12 made in Canada (before they moved to Florida).
12+1 double stack capacity. Year 1994.

I still have the receipt for $650 (paid $400 after a friend sold it to me in 2014)
Its my truck pistol and I've trained on it more than any other 45ACP.
It is not a OWB carry or IWB carry option. Too fat! And I'm 190 lbs, too skinny!

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My smallest 1911 is a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm, I can't imagine shooting it in .45ACP. Sounds like RIA figured out the recoil dampening OK.
It's a heavy gun and has 3 large ports on the top of the slide. I was too lazy to run downstairs to take a picture of mine, but I found this porting picture on Google.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

To be honest, I knew about the gun but wasn't aware that it was ported until I held it in the store a couple of months ago. I thought maybe I had missed something online or it was a different model. Nope, it's just not a very highly advertised feature.

Registered
Token Trigger Snob
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I weighed it out of curiosity. It weighs 35 oz. My 5" 10mm 1911 weighs 42 oz., both with unloaded magazines. The weight and porting help. Now, that being said, I'm not very recoil sensitive either, so there's that.

EDIT: I weighed my Springfield Loaded 5" .45 ACP the same way, with an unloaded magazine. It weighed 40 oz.

Premium Member
I have a Colt Defender. I was going to get it in 9mm but at the last minute, I changed and got the 45acp. The recoil is a bit nasty but I can live with it. It fits perfectly in my S&W Shield holster and is just a little heavier.
Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger

Premium Member
INTRIGUING!! few things new to me grab my attention, that rascal did. already went looking for one. Buds guns is out of stock, no surprise there. only one found so far was $599 i do not know if that is an OK price or not, time and more looking will tell. with time my interest may wain. still thanks for a good gun post. you know TFF, note the word firearms.

rick

1 - 20 of 35 Posts