The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son & grandson have been religiously watching the TV Show, Forged In Fire. The even bought a small forge & a small anvil to try to make some knives. They ordered some knife grade steel & had enough left over for me to try my hand. I've never done anything like this before. My friend in WI sent me a hunk of Burl Maple to make a handle & this is what I came up with for my first effort.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Not bad, you ought to see my first try at butchering, I mean forging, a knife, but thankfully no one will ever see that monstrosity. I made sure of that lol.

·
Premium Member
12,233 Posts
Now that's a knife I could learn to love! Sensible, practical, imminently usable. Well done sir!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both blade and handle looks great. You should be very proud of yourself.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
I've thought about getting into that hobby, and than logic sinks in. I don't even mow the lawn because it gets hot here in San Antonio, than I want to add a few hundred degrees on top of that, and than I'll spend several thousand dollars buying the forge, anvil, hammer press and all necessary accessories to make a $20 knife. When its all done, my wife will have to call 911 because I stabbed myself with the knife when I fell on it from fainting from the heat.

Nice work by the way.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Very nice first try!
Forging a knife offers no advantage over simply grinding one out of sheet steel. Forging allows you to use steel that would otherwise not make a knife because of it's shape-it does not impart any attributes to the steel. The "FiF" show is 90% theatrics and 10% real knifemaking. Should anyone wish to try knifemaking, you can get high quality steel from several knifemaking supply houses. You can shape and bevel your blade with files and grinders, and send it to real professionals for heat treating. A forge and anvil is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The son in law of a friend of mine, got picked to go on the FiF
show. He made it to the end, but came in 2nd. Anyway, when I retired last September, he had his SIL make me these 2 beauties. One of my favorite retirement gifts, and they already quartered and skinned an elk in New Mexico,( my other retirement gift).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts