The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these dies back in the 70's. I was doing OK and then I broke the decapping rod. This rod is threaded on the end and I believe the collet that holds the decapping pin is also the case mouth expander. I believe the upper part of the rod is threaded @ 10-32. I'm having problems finding a replacement. Does any one know where I can find a replacement or if RCBS made a newer replacement part for it? I emailed RCBS about this and they told me they'll try and answer me in 10 days.
Decapping pin 002.jpg

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you have the box thagt the dies came in, maybe paper then, or plastic and give them the
prod number.

And do call cause they are generous. Id suggest you get a few spare decapping pins.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm sure you're an experienced reloader, and have already done the prudent things in setting up to reload .222 Win. with 40-year old dies. So, I offer the following advice, much more for MY OWN piece of mind, than in the belief that you've overlooked anything.
You don't make it clear whether you bought the dies 40 years ago and have maintained them meticulously ever since, or if you recently acquired the dies after many years of sitting on a shelf, unused (I suspect the FORMER). In either case, completely disassembling the dies, soaking/cleaning them in a good solvent, and carefully reassembling them can often improve their performance, and enable you to detect possible trouble spots (die wall scratches or gouges, bent or "not very straight" decapping pins, etc.), before they become an issue to your loaded ammo's performance.
If you've already done this recently, then please forgive my unsolicited advice. I kinda learned this lesson the hard way with dies which appeared "new and clean" to three of us, but were remarkably "gunked up" upon full disassembly.
Best of luck and fun, shooting a fine old varmint cartridge!

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
+1 with Howlin and Joe. Six penny nail works just fine. That said +1 with suggestions that you make a phone call. I tried to buy a tapered expander ball a couple of years back. The lady who took the call told me there was no charge for replacement parts. They sent two new complete decapper rods with tapered expander balls and a bunch of spare pins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure you're an experienced reloader, and have already done the prudent things in setting up to reload .222 Win. with 40-year old dies. So, I offer the following advice, much more for MY OWN piece of mind, than in the belief that you've overlooked anything.
You don't make it clear whether you bought the dies 40 years ago and have maintained them meticulously ever since, or if you recently acquired the dies after many years of sitting on a shelf, unused (I suspect the FORMER). In either case, completely disassembling the dies, soaking/cleaning them in a good solvent, and carefully reassembling them can often improve their performance, and enable you to detect possible trouble spots (die wall scratches or gouges, bent or "not very straight" decapping pins, etc.), before they become an issue to your loaded ammo's performance.
If you've already done this recently, then please forgive my unsolicited advice. I kinda learned this lesson the hard way with dies which appeared "new and clean" to three of us, but were remarkably "gunked up" upon full disassembly.
Best of luck and fun, shooting a fine old varmint cartridge!
I bought the dies new back in the 70's along with a brand new Remington 700 in .222 caliber. I've cleaned the resizing die with Hoppe's solvent which didn't seem to help or contribute to the bent/broken decapping rod.

·
Super Moderator
28,585 Posts
I just noticed that the rod is broke off above the expander. I was thinking just the pin. Yeah, you're going to have to contact RCBS on that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The pin itself looks pretty short as wel though, at least on the picture.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
I bought these dies back in the 70's. I was doing OK and then I broke the decapping rod. This rod is threaded on the end and I believe the collet that holds the decapping pin is also the case mouth expander. I believe the upper part of the rod is threaded @ 10-32. I'm having problems finding a replacement. Does any one know where I can find a replacement or if RCBS made a newer replacement part for it? I emailed RCBS about this and they told me they'll try and answer me in 10 days. View attachment 253156
Tom - the stem rod that is broken is a simple fix: Two easy fixes - one is to get a new stem rod and transfer the old expander button (still on the broken old part) from a shop that sells RCBS reloading stuff - OR - take the stem from another RCBS set and transfer the expander ball to the unbroken stem rod.

RCBS has gone to two different decapping pin styles. One is a 'headed pin' and the other is a straight pin that wedges into the end of the stem rod and held in place by tension from the expander button. Do yourself a favor and buy a package or two of spare decapping pins. You need the small size. They are cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom - the stem rod that is broken is a simple fix: Two easy fixes - one is to get a new stem rod and transfer the old expander button (still on the broken old part) from a shop that sells RCBS reloading stuff - OR - take the stem from another RCBS set and transfer the expander ball to the unbroken stem rod.

RCBS has gone to two different decapping pin styles. One is a 'headed pin' and the other is a straight pin that wedges into the end of the stem rod and held in place by tension from the expander button. Do yourself a favor and buy a package or two of spare decapping pins. You need the small size. They are cheap.
Hi Jim. I'm just getting back into reloading after a 40 year hiatus. Do you have a part # for the new style decapping pins and will they fit my old die set?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Hi Jim. I'm just getting back into reloading after a 40 year hiatus. Do you have a part # for the new style decapping pins and will they fit my old die set?
Thanks!
Like a couple guys already said - contact RCBS and tell them what you have. Nine times out of ten they will send you a replacement at no charge. RBCS has always been a great company to deal with. It's been so long since I bought new dies that I don't know it the old stems are interchangeable with the new ones. Call RCBS and they will fix you up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts