The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New to reloading and having a great time learning. My newbie question is: How important is it to sort and separate brass by headstamp? I'm reloading 9mm and .223 mainly for target practice for now. Thanks in advance for all your answers!

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Opinions vary on brass sorting. I usually do the first time I process a mixed lot of brass, generaly speaking certain headstamps reveal characteristics that may need additional attention before loading, such as primer crimp removal. Also you may decide certain manufacturers are undesireable; I don't use amerc or S&B for example.

· Registered
158 Posts
My reloading brass mostly come from Factory loads. I buy the same brand and type for each caliber I load for if I can. I have a pile of 30-30, and 30-06 that are mixed brands of cases, and my reloads shoot just fine. If I was going for ultimate accuracy, maybe I would bother, but I see no need for it so far.

· Registered
5,274 Posts
Welcome to TFF ! it is more critical for rifle. As 312 stated, you will figure out which ones you need to sort and which ones you want to avoid. SB is good brass, but they have sealed primer pockets and are notoriously tight.

· Registered
269 Posts
Aluminum and steel as well as berdan primed cases must be sorted out, as they are not reloadable. Military brass has crimped in primers which must be decrimped. I don’t like A-Merc, I feel they don’t hold up as well as they should. Other than that sorting handgun brass is a waist of time. It would be a full time job keeping auto brass sorted into lots, at least for a government employee.

· Registered
19,162 Posts
you will probably get a different answer from every relaoder here..

what '*I*' do is sort my brass.

I sort by headstamp.

I also sort by batch so i can keep a rough idea of number of relaods.

I sort also by primer pocket type... IE.. if I have some previously crimped primers that i've reamed.. I keep them as their own batch.

yes, this means in my brass box, I have a few dozen ziplock bags of sorted, cleaned brass that is ready to go.. and when I clean brass, I only clean batches that are identifiably seperate. IE.. I can clean say.. 30-30 and 270 together as they won't slip together.. and I can run 2 batches in and seperate easilly..e tc.

be safe.. good luck.. inspet your brass often.. discard damaged ones. to cheap to risk damage to a chamber or your face to try to get one more load out of a case that may be developing a fissure or crack / seperation..

· Registered
8,760 Posts
It's only important to me because I am anal.

Like Soundguy, I have many ziploc bags of brass cleaned and chamfered and seperated by headstamp.

One big reason (to me) is that a lot of mine is quality military brass while some of it is factory... I don't think it makes much difference with pistol brass, but the military stuff have thicker walls, so I do it anyway.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
most pistol, unless for SD rounds, I don't separate at all, I just run 'em all through my Dillon.

Rifle, I for certain separate everything and even weight them to further sort. I also keep track on how many firings my .308's have on them because I shoot a lot of M1A which are brass-eaters, 3-4 max and done.

· Registered
5,213 Posts
I don't sort my pistol brass, but I sort my rifle casings by brand/head stamps. A while back I read a piece in a magazine devoted to shooting and reloading, and it want as followed. Ten pieces of five different brass manufacturers were taken, each ten pieces were from the same case lot numbers. Five pieces of each manufacturer were trimmed to a specific lenght, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes chamfered, etc. All the aforementiond brass was treated to the same procedures that bench rest shooters do to their brass. The other remaining five pieces of brass not given to the "bench rest" treatment. Know accuracy loads were used in each of the "lots", the cases given the extra attention shot the best groups by a small margin. After the test a group was fired with one case each from the five different makers, and it shot the smallest group of the entire test. I never tried this test myself, but was interesting reading. Those who said that they do not sort their brass may be on to something.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.