The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Hope iam in the right forum for this question
Just received my first purchase using my C&R license.
An austrian steyr m95 stutzin. While login the info in my log book
I noticed that the importer(Century Arms) has given it a different
Serial # than the original one from the manufacturer.
My question is does anyone now why the importer has to make up new serial #s? Is this required by the ATF? Anyway I loged both serial #s
Just to be safe.
Bill

·
Premium Member
14,074 Posts
Hello all
Hope iam in the right forum for this question
Just received my first purchase using my C&R license.
An austrian steyr m95 stutzin. While login the info in my log book
I noticed that the importer(Century Arms) has given it a different
Serial # than the original one from the manufacturer.
My question is does anyone now why the importer has to make up new serial #s? Is this required by the ATF? Anyway I loged both serial #s
Just to be safe.
Bill
I seem to recall some fuss over the Russian cyrillic characters included in the serials of Nagant revolvers and the like, and don't know whether it was the importers or ATF who came up with the system of Arabic numerals being placed on the receiver, but it simplifies the recording process without having to fumble with cyrillic. Just to be safe, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to record both in your 03 record book.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
I wouldn't mind the new serial numbers so much, if them jerks at Century didn't do it with a vibratool. Etched a big honkin' number on the side of my Luger.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Just record them both in your logbook. You'll be fine. Many older firearms had serial numbers added by the importers. Even my wife's little Italian .25 has two. So, just record them both and don't worry about it :)

Congratulations on having your 03 FFL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.