In the market for another 12 ga pump action

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Chickenhawk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Got my 12 gauge BPS in 1982(ish) and my father just happened to be taking a Gunsmithing class at the local college. While there he stoned all the slide surfaces and that thing is like butter, never felt another pump like it and that’s all I shoot. I prefer the Model 12 over the BPS for trap as I can drop a shell in with the action open which can’t be done with the Browning.

tedwitt, joe45c and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

My 870 will feed any appropriately sized shells.

3. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Member

What?!

tedwitt likes this.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

About 5 yrs ago I bought a Mossberg 500 with the 18" barrel. It came with a heat shield & interchangeable pistol grip. I bought it mainly as a boat gun. I fashioned a scabbard from 3" PVC & a few rubber straps from an old bike rack. I fastened it under the lid of a rod storage compartment on my bass boat. Besides dispatching an occasional water moccasin or unusually aggressive water snake trying to hitch a ride, I keep a few extra rounds of 00 buck in case some of the big gators get testy at mating time. The factory finish has been flawless. Every so often I wipe it down with one of those disposable storage wipes & I slip in in its scabbard with a silicon gun sock for extra protection. I haven't had to shoot it yet, but it's a comfort to me since most of the time I fish alone in tall reeds & bullrushes or huge fields of lily pads that can be several feet tall. The really big bass love that cover.

I have shot more than a few buzzards over the yrs as at certain times of the yr we get vast flocks of them roosting in the tall cedar trees. When they come we have had problems with them eating the seat upholstery & carpeting of our bass boats. We hang a dead one upside down from a high limb & the live ones won't come within 50 yds of it. I do have an annual permit from the state to harvest a couple of each species of Vulture which last pretty much the entire time they're here. Actually, the buzzards are so dumb, you could walk up to them & hit them with the shotgun barrel but shooting them has the extra benefit of the noise scaring the rest of the flock away for a while. I have counted over a hundred at a time on the ground & when they fly, they blacken the sky for quite a ways over the trees. We have tried colorful, vinyl wind banners & old CD's but they quickly learn that they don't pose a danger & they ignore them. The dead bird almost hypnotizes the others. they'll land close by & stare at the dead one, especially if the wind makes it move a little. They won't land on the boats or damage anything. It's weird but it works.

I selected the Mossy 500 mainly, if the truth be known, because it was cheap in case it fell overboard or got stolen. It's a keeper!

5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Rem Wingmasters never did, the newer 870 Express did, not all, but a large number of them did. Bulk WalMart ammo with steel or aluminum case heads more so than brass. It wasn't just the unfinished chamber, the barrel extensions had a lip and dip on the rear edge of the chamber. A rough chamber and the lip would hang extraction, and sometimes rip the rim, or break the hook on the MIM extractor. That led to bad info that MIM extractors were bad as well.
    The "dip" is one of the worse culprits. On extraction the spring pressure would push the case rim into that depression. The empty hull would cant just enough to lock the gun up. If you sent the barrel back to Remington, they would fix the problem. I did one for a friend and had some good before and after pics, but photobucket ate em. The one I did had a dip 3 times as bad as this one.
    Another guy did the same repair on one barrel, and got this pic next to another that needed the same thing.
    [​IMG]

6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don’t think I’d be buying a new Rem 870 anytime soon. Sounds like Larry had it right, they won’t have a problem unless the gun is messed up.......which it sounds like they can be.

shootbrownelk, tedwitt and joe45c like this.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

The last 870 I owned was made in 1950, the year they were introduced. Lord only knows how rounds went through it before I got it. Taught both boys to shoot with it, then gave it to a friend for his nephew. That was a good 10yrs ago, and he still uses it every bird season.

8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pretty hard to wear out a 870.

9. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Member

My wing masters shoot fine son. It was my newer 870 Express that was a pos. Get your facts straight

10. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I'm sorry! I might have misunderstood your statement above, that your old wingmasters weren't good quality and you want something better.

I had a express in 20 gauge and traded it after a few boxes of failure to eject.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride DEPLORABLE member Supporting Member

I remember when the Express model came out... I knew right away that it was time to start snatching up all the Wingmasters I came across. ;)

Over the years, I've wittled my shotgun collection down to 1 of each type of action, & the pump 'slot' has an mid '70's - 870 3" mag. Wingmaster in it. Reminds me of a Singer sewing machine everytime I shoot it. :D

S/r

12. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Member

Yes! I was talking about the Express but not the Wingmasters. Those scatter guns eat everything

13. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Just wanted to add that my 870 is a newer express model (12-15yrs?). I've shot a lot of different ammo including Winchester and at the risk of cursing myself, it's been trouble free.

joe45c and ysacres like this.
  14. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 with all the Mossberg guys. Not much of a shotgunner, but very fond of my 500.

15. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My nephew bought his Express about that same number of years ago too. He must have got a good one cause he has put 1000s of rounds through it while Duck ,Goose and deer hunting. Still uses it as it's his only shotgun. He wore the finish off it using it so much. I refinished it for him with True Oil a few years ago. His action seemed as slick as my 870's.

CCHolderinMaine likes this.