The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22 year old moving out and into a town house with my girlfriend, I am considering a pistol for home protection. I have limited experience with handguns, mostly .22LR pistols, and shot a 9mm and .45 a few times. I was surprised with the recoil on the 45, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be..

Anyways, what are some of the cheapest, more reliable centerfire pistols you guys would suggest? I'd like to keep it in a quick-access biometric safe. Not 100% certain on caliber either...

I like the Ruger P95.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Find a licensed FFL gun shop. Ask for a NRA certified instructor. Take a gun safety class. Ask about a gun range that will rent you some different guns for you to try. Find the one that best fits you (grip, sighting, control etc) and buy it.

If this seems like too much effort, go buy a Desert Eagle and Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
the Ruger is a good choice..but how much experience does your girlfriend have with pistols? how experienced are you? in a panic situtation a person who usually only shoots 1-2 times a year will miss 7 out of 10 shots with a semi-automatice pistol and 5 out of 6 shots with a revolver....consiter a shot gun...same person hits almost 100% of the time..add to that the average reaction of a perp to a shotgun fireing.99% turn tail and run..Pistol..50% they know the odds too...just saying....

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I am going to suggest that you follow hunter's suggestion. A shotgun is a much better home defense tool than a pistol. It takes a lot less learning to be able to use it, and it gets the job done better. If it is to be a gun that you and your SO will both be using, go with a 20 gauge. A pistol, in the hands of a competent shooter still isn't as good as a shotgun, IMHO.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm old and don't give two craps about what the rich kids and the arrogant gun purists have to say. When it comes to economy & dependability, the Hi-Point 9mm and .45ACP are inexpensive ,durable and reliable. You'll get the occasional nay-sayer who got a gun that wasn't perfect (or more likely, they are less than perfect :rolleyes:) and did not meet expectations, but with a lifetime warranty it will be repaired or replaced without question. Both are sub $200 MSRP. My .45ACP was $155 at a gun show...brand new (before the insanity started). They are ugly guns, but they go bang every time. If that's all you can spend, this is a viable option that should be considered. Don't believe me, read the reviews online by owners, then make your decision. Mine has over 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
why not consider a revolver like a Ruger SP 101?

You don't have to worry about a possible jam from limp wristing(happens to new shooters), or FTE, FTF situations where you have to drop the mag and rack the slide while you are in condition 3

it's versitle, with either 38 Special or 357 Mag ammo

and it would also conceal easy if needed

lots of good points for a revolver in this situation

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I like revolvers, they almost allways go bang! The down side is that you usually only get 5, or 6, shots, then you have to reload. Without the proper training, a lot of good training, you will miss some of those shots. That's why I suggested a shot gun. When you shoulder it, you are looking down the barrel, and trigger squeeze won't matter much. An auto loader with an extended magazine will give you up to 9 shots. Can you miss with a shotgun? Yep, but all you have to do is make a small adjustment, and squeeze the trigger again. I have suggested an auto shot gun for a reason. Have you ever seen a short stroke on a pump? I have, and in the hands of someone that has not been properly trained, that's a jam!

G

·
Get some training and go from there.

Hi-points are cheap. Some have issues but I know plenty of people who own them and say there are no problems as well. Any gun that will still fire after shooting a Class 10 BOLT out of it is a right good gun in my book.

Plus when you pull that Hi-point out it is HUGE and will scare someone more than smaller pistols.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
why would you miss with a revolver? :confused: also i agree with the shotgun, buy a semi automatic 12 gauge or hi capacity 12 gauge pump shotgun and fill the shotgun full of 00 buckshot and let the fireworks begin.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
why would you miss with a revolver? :confused: also i agree with the shotgun, buy a semi automatic 12 gauge or hi capacity 12 gauge pump shotgun and fill the shotgun full of 00 buckshot and let the fireworks begin.
Why would you miss with a revolver? Not trying to be a smart alec here, I'm sure you already know what I'm about to say. Let's see, you have a BG in your face, and he has a gun in his hand, yours is in your holster! Now you must move, draw, and fire very quickly! Still getting hits! But that won't bother your shot placement at all, will it! :D Think about it, not all of us have guts of steel, we can't just be calm in the face of danger. You will have tunnel vision, your heart rate will be climbing thru the roof! You will lose those fine motor skills! And time will slow way down! Not to mention the shakes! All of this is a reciepe for missing with any kind of gun! But you already knew this I'm sure. :D

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
yeah so the best thing to use is a shotgun with 00 buckshot, thats what i got ready for home defense but its only a single shot. then my rifles are all bolt actions, i sold my 9 mm smith and wesson semi auto a long time ago because it kept jamming. i think ill be alright with my single shot 12 gauge as long as i dont shoot through any of my doors guessing that the intruder is on the other side of the door :crazy: :lmao:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yep. The Shotgun is the best over all protection. But, if you shoot it in the house you might take out a wall. I have the Hi-Point 9mm, Armscor .38 Special, and a Ruger 10/22 pistol. All were very cheap to buy and reliable. Right now, the ammo is the problem.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Remember guys that a legal 18" barreled shot guns pattern will only open up about an inch per yard. Across a 20' room that would be only about 3".

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be bringing a bolt action .223 and Marlin 60 with me when I move out. I figure neither of those are ideal for home defense... I know the .223 over penetrates, and is bolt action with a 4-16x scope... useless inside a small town house. The Marlin 60? Well, it has jammed enough times to where I would not let my life depend on it, even with the better CCI Minimags, its had feeding issues. I guess I'll check out a short barrel 870 or 500

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Check out Academy Sporting Goods. They advertise 12 gauge shootguns for less than $200, Than there is HI Point and SCCY. They are both inexpensive. But first look a ammo. A gun is of no use if you can't find ammo.

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
I'm old and don't give two craps about what the rich kids and the arrogant gun purists have to say. When it comes to economy & dependability, the Hi-Point 9mm and .45ACP are inexpensive ,durable and reliable. You'll get the occasional nay-sayer who got a gun that wasn't perfect (or more likely, they are less than perfect :rolleyes:) and did not meet expectations, but with a lifetime warranty it will be repaired or replaced without question. Both are sub $200 MSRP. My .45ACP was $155 at a gun show...brand new (before the insanity started). They are ugly guns, but they go bang every time. If that's all you can spend, this is a viable option that should be considered. Don't believe me, read the reviews online by owners, then make your decision. Mine has over 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure.
My brother in law has one down in AL. I was down there and shot it over christmas. I was impressed with a $200 gun. It was a 45. I ran about 20 rounds down it and it was accurate and no issue.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
As others have stated, if it's strictly for home defence, i'd go with the shortest legal pump shotty I could find. Expecially if I weren't that experienced.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
good suggestions. a shotgun with most ammo won't penetrate as much as a handgun round, say 9mm especially. #4 buck is my favorite or OO buck, can't beat it. DONT use birdshot, please...

but if you choose a handgun, a good gun that's both inexpensive and very reliable are the Ruger revolvers. The sp101's are a bit more but the newer polymer LCR revolvers are great.

it's kind of an investment, whatever you get is going to likely last you a lifetime and then some, don't get too cheap. remember, you get what you pay for (if you're lucky).

Rock Island Armory 1911's are very inexpensive as are Glocks, S.A. XD's, etc.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Remember guys that a legal 18" barreled shot guns pattern will only open up about an inch per yard. Across a 20' room that would be only about 3".
um, 20' ft is 6-2/3 yards. so would not the spread be 6 inches? my mossberg 500 12 ga has a 14" spread at 45 feet. granted that's with no4 shot

1 - 20 of 60 Posts