The Firearms Forum banner

Info on this gun?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PMK 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine from a fishing forum found this supposedly at a pawn shop in the desert for $200, a single shot .22, weighing 13.5 lbs, can any one add any info about it? I thought it looked like a Win Mod 52 action, but what do I know,

His comments,

"..at a pawnshop down here in Airry-Zoner and thought to myself"hey, that should be a good shooter". They had it marked at $400, i looked it over and tossed a crazy price of $150 at him, he scoffed and chortled a bit, went to the boss and i was out the door, tax inc. for $200.00. It seems they had this critter for some time, so time to say bye-bye.

Knowing only a marginal amount about rifles, i did recognize this as being something a little special. It's one of only 12,000 Rem. model 37's, this one fitted with a full 1" bull barrel by Hart and Womack. A bit of research tells me Womack, who died in 1990, was the go-to guy for serious top-level shooters who wanted the best.

The barrel displays their names, caliber and model "400".It's 28" in length...The 37 action is set into in either a custom stock or factory special, not sure, but with the different color and type woods in the palm swell, i'd say custom.The adj. trigger is nice,along with the adj. butt-plate and slight adj. on the comb..Very smooth and tight action. It's a single shot .22 cal. originally fitted with a peep sight and something up front, both gone, but it does have the sight mounts and scope ring mounting blocks, fitted to accept one of those long-ass skinny scopes of long ago. At 13.5 lbs.i won't be lugging this around to shoot free standing : ) I finally figured out to remove the bolt,(small hole that you slide a drift into) but since it runs interference with the comb on the stock, they cut the stock as you can see and a single large screw from the bottom holds it all together and allows removal of the comb so the bolt slides out without having to dismantle the entire gun.

If any of you happen to have one of those scopes tucked away in your refrig or safe or attic, let me know. Looking forward to getting it up and running and punching some paper."

Here are the pics he provided,

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Very unique setup. First time I've ever seen downward barrel pressure. Those two threaded escutcheons are meant to be set into the stock forearm and the external adjustment screws allow upward pressure on the underside of the barrel. Times have sure changed from when I was buying Unertl, Lyman and Redfield for a $150 average, now most start at $400 and close to that for International or Palma peep sights.
That rifle should be be deadly accurate out to 100 yards with an additional $400 for optics or peeps.

#6 ·
as far as i know, this is the only system that realy provides definitive, scientificly measurable results...

let me tell you about the factory installed(by winchester-western division of olin)eletric bedder on my 52. made by the national shooters supply co. in washington dc, they were originated by edwards "pete" brown, the inventor of the 4-point electric bedding system. this system was tested by art cook on his personal m52 and used to win the gold in the olympic championship in 1948. the same year he won the eastern regional championship, and the national smallbore championship at camp perry with the same gun. he holds(to this day) numerous national and international records(with this gun). i had a chance to meet him in 1988 at the northeastern regionals at blue trail range in wallingford connecticut(run by dave and debbie lyman). he walked down the line of competitors, passing up anshutz and walther rifles to borrow my gun and give a shooting demonstration.(a high point for me and my 52).

the system allows you to tune your barrel so that the bullet leaves the muzzle when the muzzle sweep velocity is at zero or near zero. at or near zero points the small variations in muzzle velocity have little or no effect on the point of bullet impact. even match ammo varies somewhat in the neighborhood of 30 feet per second in muzzle velocity from shot to shot. this means that the bullets from shot to shot are not going to leave the muzzle at the same point in the barrels vibration sequence. the barrel vibrates like a tuning fork or pendulum, and this system minimizes this effect, allowing you to shoot in the (sweet spots).

there are 4 screws that contact the barrel just short of the end of the handgaurd. step one you back off all 4 screws until the barrel is free floating. step two you snap one lead of the test light to the barrel, scope block, or sight, and the other to the bedder ring(the 4 screws travel through the ring) or screw driver. step three click one of the top screws down until the bulb in the bedder lamp lights. now turn the screw back 4 clicks to break the circuit and turn the other top screw down until it touches the barrel and lights the lamp. at this point you are through with the bedder lamp. return to the first screw and turn it in 4 clicks. now both of the top screws are in contact with the barrel(this is your zero setting).

step four now experiment with different settings to determine where you obtain the best accuracy, screwing both bottom screws tight against the barrel before firing.(i have found that 25 clicks up from zero on the top screws works best for my 52).

this is from the original instructions, and my own personal experiance. my 52 shoots better then 99% of target guns ever made. wether or not its the EBS that does the trick is up to speculation. this is certainly a rare gem that i will never part with. you now know more then most, and more than you wanted, but i so rarely get to stump this forum, or brag about my info.if anyone else has ever seen one, or owned/used one let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.