The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,105 Posts
The proof seems light. 19 tons. That's 38, 000 PSI American. The British ton is heavier but it isn't that much heavier. 375 H&H is 60,000 PSI.

Strange.

Reactions: PRR1957

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first post after a year + lurking and an intro, although I'm active on other forums. My question is about the condition of this rifle, and if it should be under Gunsmithing or some such, Mods please do your magic ;)

Bill DeShivs, I've seen your posts, knowledgeable, thanks. In re:
Very nice gun with a very bad reblue job.
I just flat had my tongue hanging out on this Rigby, especially the caliber and high dollar$ (I thought) scope. My question: can you tell me what, in the photos, I should see about a bad blue job? I'd hate to make a huge mistake some day.

-jb, jumping in with both feet

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The actual cartridge and chamber marking is , .375” 2.85” = 375 H&H Belted Magnum. The 375 Flanged Magnum would = .375” 2.94” which is slightly lower chamber pressure. It’s possible that when this rifle was built that the 375 H&H Belted Magnum mite had been load with cordite gunpowder instead of the later nitrocellulose gunpowders. Cordite gunpowders was very temperature sensitive, so the cartridges of that era would had been loaded down in anticipation of hotter climate of Africa. Or the gunpowder mite had been nitrocellulose IMR 1185 which latter became Hodgdon BL-C which again was also a temperature sensitive gunpowder.

Try contacting John Rigby & Co. The firearms maker is still in business in marry old London. Go to their website and email all the images you posted here. Then if you would, get back with us with what you learned.

Also. I do not see anything wrong with the blued finish. I do like the horn forearm end cap. Very unique. I’m guessing some kind of African horn.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
The British ton is 2240 lbs. and, as PRR mentioned, it can depend on when the rifle was made AND what it was proofed for and with at that time. It would be good to see all the proof marks to hopefully establish a date.. The bluing...it does look buffed to me. Value, I don't know, Rigby's are not cheap, even if refinished. I would have to call that a "re-finish" and not a restoration. I'm not certain the stock is original either.

I think PRR gave the best advice, contact Rigby. If the records still exist, and I believe they should, they can tell you a great deal about who, what, when and where.

Edit: I did some browsing of various sites as to what Rigby bolt rifles are listed at and selling for. There was several in 375 H&H. I did not look at all the pictures or enlarge all those I looked at. What I saw was one for less than 10K and, it was $9,900 and some change. Some were in the 50K range...but I don't think this rifles falls into that price level. I suppose it could if a special provenance could be established but, we don't know of any right now.

I have no idea where 'newb's rifle would fall. A Rigby letter would shed some light and add to the value as would seeing the rest of the proof marks. Regardless, it IS a Rigby. They won't be found in the vast majority of collections or accumulations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts