The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

-a good friend has asked me if I could help him find any information on his Winchester modle 1894 Lever action .38-55 hex brl rifle. SerialNo.#50450

-Stamped forward on the rear site: "Marbles Gladstone Mich. USA"

-Engraved inside the Lt side acton above the leaver (when open) is etched: "Michigan"

-Rifle appeares to have been reBlued & wood reTreated some time ago. You can see some earlier pitting under the reFinishing.

Rifle is in good working order & the best I can tell is that it may have been made in the late 1800's.

I am looking for any history you may be able to provide for this rifle, date made, mumbers produced, years made, condition as indicated by the pictures, and its range of value.

I thank you in advance for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello BangStick,

Your friend's Model 1894 was manufactured late in the year 1898, and that is where the good news ends.

As you suspect, it has definitely been refinished, and very poorly done at that. The stocks have been heavily sanded and refinished. Additionally, the barrel has been cut down by several inches, and the magazine tube cut way down. The overall graded coondition is "Fair" (at best), and the gun has essentially no collector value. If the bore is in the same condition as the reat of the rifle, the value is something < $400.

Bert H.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Alas, it might not even of much interest to hunters; the ammunition is hard to get and expensive, about twice the price of .30-30.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou very much Bert H.

I'll pass this info along to my friend. I kinda thought something wasn't adding up since it is in carbine length but without a saddle ring.

Other pictures I viewed showed the longer brl & longer mag tube where this rifle lacking. Never crossed my mind that someone had shortened it.

Still, it is an interesting piece even with its modifications.

Thanks once again,

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts