Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Info requested on Iver Johnson 38 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JamieW, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieW

JamieW New Member

I recently picked up an Iver Johnson double post top break automatic 5 shot revolvers in 38 S&W. It has an exposed hammer and 2 pins and 1 screw hold the body together. Flat main spring. Cylinder free spinning with some movement forward and back when closed. It appears to be a large frame. Under the left grip, the serial number is Q940xx. There is also along the bottom under the grip is 3248. Grips are in excellent condition. Owl is looking at the barrel. The metal has a good patina but none of the original finish.

What is the date of manufacture and model/variation? Thanks for your help.

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

You have an Iver Johnson 2nd Model 9th Variation Safety Hammer Automatic revolver made in 1906. It is chambered in .38 S&W was is considered a black powder frame. It is not safe for modern smokeless ammunition. They cylinders on 1st and 2nd Models would free spool, but lock up once you cock the hammer.

3. JamieW

JamieW New Member

Thanks Shrek

Shrek73 likes this.
  4. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

I missed this, do you mean trigger guard?

5. JamieW

JamieW New Member

Yes it is on the bottom of the trigger guard and also under the left grip panel. On the trigger guard, there is a symbol in front of the number but I can't tell what it is.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That is the reason we require pictures of every marking on the gun, because there are people here who can identify it! Now, I am going to post this link one more time for you:
    https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/important-follow-guidelines-or-post-will-be-removed.14493/

When you decide to post some pictures, start a new thread with the required information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.