The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pipe Auto part Cylinder Metal
Took this in for cleaning,etc. Looking for any info/value for it. Rib on top of the bbls is stamped - Dresse Laloux & c IE A Liege & only other markings I find are on the water table & under the bbls. 30" bbls choked Full & Full. No markings under the forearm. Pics enclosed and thank you for any info you might provide.
Frank
Shotgun Revolver
Revolver
Machine Machine tool Tool accessory Tool
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun
Wood
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun
Revolver Shotgun Trigger

Attachments

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Going by the proofs that I can see clearly, it pre dates 1892. (Ican't make out the mark in the middle of the five marks) It looks like it is a stub twist Damascus barreled gun so it's not suitable for shooting modern smokeless ammo and depending on condition it might not even be safe for light black powder loads using the proper length hulls.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Going by the proofs that I can see clearly, it pre dates 1892. (Ican't make out the mark in the middle of the five marks) It looks like it is a stub twist Damascus barreled gun so it's not suitable for shooting modern smokeless ammo and depending on condition it might not even be safe for light black powder loads using the proper length hulls.
Thanks for the info Grizzley. I added 2 more pics of the marks that are much more clear(1 is the attached file). Frank

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Definitely stub twist barrels, the marks I couldn't make out turned out to be two marks superimposed, one of the marks is the controller of proof's mark, that would be a star over the letter X so this shotgun is post 1877 and pre 1892 the other mark is a second provisional proof, a stylized EL. The crown over DL I haven't found any information on, it could be a maker's mark.

Sorry, I haven't got any listings for the controller of proof marks that pre-date 1910 otherwise we could narrow down the date a little closer as to when and who the star over x was used by.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely stub twist barrels, the marks I couldn't make out turned out to be two marks superimposed, one of the marks is the controller of proof's mark, that would be a star over the letter X so this shotgun is post 1877 and pre 1892 the other mark is a second provisional proof, a stylized EL. The crown over DL I haven't found any information on, it could be a maker's mark.

Sorry, I haven't got any listings for the controller of proof marks that pre-date 1910 otherwise we could narrow down the date a little closer as to when and who the star over x was used by.
Thanks again Grizzley. I'm working on cleaning it up now & it is looking like it will turn out pretty nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.