Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

1. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

Trying to find assembly & disassembly instructions of a Hopkins & Allen top break 38 S&W double action.
    Pat. date is Jan.5th/Oct 5th 1886.

2. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Active Member

I could not find the diagram requested but perhaps Iver Johnson or Smith and Wesson top break diagrams are readily available. The many top breaks were based on Smith patents so quite similar.

3. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

Thanks for the reply but, the H&A's are a bit different. I have the diagram of a IJ but they are no where near the same.
    Thanks again

4. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

If you have the gun apart lat the parts out in the manner in which they fit together. It is sort of like a puzzle, the parts will only fit and work one way. There are no parts which can be improperly installed, they simply won't fit. Nearly always the hammer and hand must go in first followed by the trigger and in some cases the two are sort of linked and need to go in together. After that it is not too difficult. The hammer spring is usually the last part in.

Old Ron likes this.
  5. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

I know how to put the action together. The trigger spring is missing but, i don't know what it looks like so i would be in the dark as to where to install it. I got some springs but for the life of me i just can't figure out how to install it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
    joe45c likes this.
  6. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

Old Ron and joe45c like this.
  7. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

yes, i looked at that picture before and the spring is the same that i have , just can't figure out how to install it. I have a new computer and I'm having a hard time getting things to work right. I'll try to take a picture and send it next time.
    Thanks

8. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

You know the job the spring performs. It has to return the trigger to the forward position. Most of these guns have the spring in front of the trigger so it will push up on the trigger to cause it return to its forward position. Some springs are screwed in place but many of these used a V-spring which is easily broken. Finding or making a v-spring is more difficult then a flat spring. It is also harder to figure out just where it sits and bears against.

Old Ron and gvw3 like this.
  9. Shrek73

Just looking at the picture of the trigger guard and spring here is how I would attempt it. Not trying to sound demeaning, but I am not sure how experienced you are working on guns.

-Remove the barrel assembly while doing this.

-Make sure the hammer is floating in the frame, but not held in place. The mainspring should also be out for this.

-Install the trigger with hand, and secure hammer in its place.

-Flip the receiver upside down.

-Place the long arm of the trigger spring in the top notch of the trigger.

-Place the trigger guard over the trigger and spring and align your front pin. Make sure you don't bind the trigger return spring and set the pin. You should be able to move and adjust it as you go. (I like to use round wood toothpicks when installing something for the 1st time. They are easier to get into the holes and hold up to some pressure. You can break them off flush to the frame drift them out with a punch or the actual pin)

-Install the screw on the rear of the trigger guard. Everything should tighten up.

There is not a lot of room in the trigger notch for the spring. If you don't have the original spring, it will take some fitting as other has pointed out to get it to function. Too long it will not allow the trigger to fully reset, too short, it will slip out of the trigger notch.

Old Ron likes this.
  10. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

You are very right , i really don't know that much about the assembly the gun.One thing i need to know is, the pin hole just under the hammer screw a pin hole for the trigger spring? There is nothing else to attach there.
    And again thank you for the help.

11. Shrek73

It's hard to know what you are describing. If you are having pictures, can you find a picture of a similar revolver?

On Iver Johnson Top Breaks, the hole under the hammer screw is used to hold the trigger guard and sear in place.

The front of the trigger guard is held in place by a screw thru the top of the receiver on older models. They changed it to a pin thru the frame on the 3rd Model.

Attached Files:

12. Roy Henaley

Roy Henaley New Member

I can't send pictures to this site just yet but, if you could send me a good Email address i can send you the pictures. This computer is new and all the bugs are not worked out yet, sorry.

13. Shrek73

Sent you a private message. Please send photos and I will post.

14. Shrek73

15. Shrek73