Information Overload

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rewind, May 19, 2017.

1. Rewind

Rewind Well-Known Member

Back in the day if I needed a widget I went to the local store that sold widgets and bought one......maybe if more than one store sold them I would compare prices and get the best deal and I was happy.

But now.........

It's look it up on the internet find a 100 places that sell widgets of all sizes and types, prices. Read reviews, check specs on every type of widget try to find out what's good, bad, decipher the reviews. Then all the questions come, do I need that widget or this one or the other one......which one is better for my needs. Ok this one.........but wait the reviews are not so good maybe this other one, but no the specs are not as good as this other one that's X dollars more.

Then you buy the prefect widget, only two days after receiving it an add pops up (because of all the research you've been doing on the net) that has a better (or is it) widget on sale for X dollars less, or a review that says they have exact same widget and it's a piece of junk.

What's a guy to do?

2. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Get rid of the Internet...? :)

jbmid1, carver, Kweeksdraw and 11 others like this.

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I NEVER buy something, ANYTHING from the internet.
    I can walk into a store to get what I want.
    Mike

4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

When I want something I go to the store and check it out. I check the name and model number.
    I then go on the net and compare prices.
    I was having trouble finding a set of milling machine clamps that are 11mm metric.
    Locally they are $185. I found a set on the net, same make model and manufactor.
    Cost $75 shipping included. That's a saving of $110.
    Sometime you can save a lot and other times it is cheaper to buy local.

cec2, carver, Kweeksdraw and 3 others like this.
  5. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One must do his due diligence, and then pick the widget he needs. Due to the fact they supplier is not local, can charge a restocking fee, etc, you must know what you need prior to ordering. Look, you won't order a shirt without knowing the correct size, why should a widget be any different? Most places online have contact numbers, and a lot are turning to chat... this is to make sure you are ordering the correct widget...
    I buy most of my widgets online, because I hate driving into town.

carver, Gun Geezer, SilasW and 6 others like this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I take grcsat's approach. I usually look at something locally and get the part number or some other identifying item and do comparison shopping online. You would be surprised at how much you can save, even with paying shipping!

carver, SilasW, Kweeksdraw and 6 others like this.
  7. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Dang, that was a good and interesting composition...a bit of humor mixed in with actual
    and very verifiable doctrine....I like that term 'widget'...kind that your can use with mixed
    gender or even it the Chaplain is in attendance...I remark to that for I have heard those
    'non-definable' objects used with the most gross of explanations ranging from body-parts
    to their use, thereof! In the early 50's I worked in the refrigeration shop in the Philippines
    for this cantankerous old navy chief who was angry for having been called back to duty for
    the Korean War... Grouchy, fat old guy from ....well, Mississippi.. the then abandoned navy
    base at Gulfport...I was then a young rate-striker...scared to death of military authority of
    an type...the chief would holler at me as I was looking over his shoulder at his mechanical
    work..."go run get me that 'hickie-bob'...now dammit, that the snap-on fummie-doodle
    (body-part) but the one when it gets greasie you can't hang on to it"! I'd go racing back
    to the shop (we'd been working on the ice cream freezers) and on the way attempt to
    sort out what was the first (body part) and what was the greasy (dangling participle)...
    If things worked out for the Chief and my errand running, chances are we'd spend about
    3 quarts of flowing-type ice cream and he'd be telling be about the 'tin-can' (destroyer)
    he'd served on over in the Med in 1945. I have a fond place in my heart for Gulfport
    Mississippi for I helped to re-commission her back in the early days of the Veitnam War.
    No barracks for senior enlisted so we stayed in a motel out in Bay St. Louis...Dang, those
    southern gals sure like us construction workers!! Wasn't very far from where Jayne Mansfield
    was killed that night on her way back to New Orleans...A couple of the other instructors
    had taken in her show that night down in Boloxi (sp)... Chief

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

There are two software items that can be downloaded and installed immediately. Together they will greatly enhance your internet experience.

Ad block Plus is a free ad blocker and will block most of the pop up ads.

Malware Bytes can be bought for about $30. This package blocks the installation of hidden bits & bytes of malicious software and unwanted software in general that is "sneaked" onto your computer as you browse the internet. The "sneak" software tracks you as you browse and relays your interests to droves of advertisers who in turn show you their related products via pop ups. A trial version is available for a period where you can see what it does before you have to buy it.

I thought the antivirus software on my computer (I use Norton) would do these things but it doesn't.

The downside of this software I recommend is that you must take a little time to learn how to employ it. Its unbelievable what a difference it will make.

9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I've never bought the overdose of sleeping pills. Many believed at the time it was because of the Kennedy's. Who knows, will have to die first to find out.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

Know what you want before you buy. I will do research on the web, but will "put my hands on it" before I buy and will usually buy from a local guy (not a box store). With shipping costs, I usually come out ahead buying local

11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

In my town if I'm looking for anything even slightly different , I go around to various stores and look first
    Usually I hear "yeah, I know about that camera , we don't have one but we can order it for you "

Well the price the can order it for is usually higher than what I can get it for so I go home and buy it online

I almost always look locally first but I am finding more and more that I just can't get it without ordering online

carver, Gun Geezer, grcsat and 4 others like this.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If it's widgets you need, I have several that I no longer need. You can have them if you want. And I'll pay the shipping. :D

13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a combination. I check the options on the internet, find which make and model works best for me, then see if local stores have it in stock. I would rather buy locally and take it home with me, but sometimes "local" doesn't have it.

Then there's receiving it. If it fits through the letterbox, all fine and good. Otherwise I have to have it sent to me at work or else play the "try to find the right time to pick it up from the depot" game.

That can be fun...one time I had 1000 .357 bullets sent to me at work. The guy who brought me the package wondered why it was so heavy. I just told him it was 20 lb of lead pellets. What will I be doing with them? Throwing them at a sandbank. :p:rolleyes:

dbcooper, carver, SilasW and 2 others like this.
  14. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

I check the internet first. Learn which widgets do what, read reviews, go to forums to make sure the place I'm checking is a reputable seller. Then try to buy it locally. If I can fine, if not, I buy it online. I buy LOTS of stuff online, because they don't carry it here, or the store doesn't open till 10AM. If some one later gets a better widget or deal, what do I care, as long as my widget is serving me well.
    Large appliances, buy em' in town, as long as the price is not out of line the dealer who treats me as a valued customer, and will dispose on my old one gets the sale.

15. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

If I'm in a hurry for a widget and it's available locally I'll buy it there. Provided the price isn't outrageous. Otherwise I get it online and get it delivered to my home. It usually saves me money, and normally I can avoid paying State sales tax. This is one reason I don't order from Midway USA. Local sale sales tax is a license to steal too.

carver and Gun Geezer like this.