Information Overload

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rewind, May 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM.

1. larryh1108

larryh1108 Member

The way I look at it is.....
    If I know what I want and do my homework. If I research it to the best of my ability and find one that I feel is the right one at the right price, I pull the trigger and don't look back. No second guessing because the decision was made with the info at hand at the time I bought it. Have confidence that your homework allowed you to make the best choice.

Also realize that prices are fleeting. That computer you bought for $700 yesterday will be on sale for $350 in 3 months. That car you paid $35k for 6 months ago is now worth $24k on trade in. If you find that same widget for $5 less a week later, so what? It wasn't there when you needed it so you did the best you could at the time you needed it. Life is all about choices and we all make good ones and bad ones and the best thing we can do is always move forward with optimism. If we spend too much time worrying about yesterday's decisions, we'll miss today and maybe tomorrow.

Kweeksdraw, carver and BlackEagle like this.
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"Drop" shipping to be exact. Hahahahaha

This conundrum is all due to people wanting a better mousetrap. Before we knew it, we had 37 different types of mousetraps.

Firearms is another example. Oh my God, the selection is endless. But there is one that fits you and your needs.

If only people would learn to adapt to what's available instead of the other way around

3. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I will always try to buy local before I buy online. Even if it's a little more, just to keep my money local. But there are times when the savings are that much more, or can't find it anywhere else that I'll go online for it.

4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Now that G-ments, so good at killing cash cow's, are trying to force online merchants to charge sales tax, & the online merchants have found they can make additional profit on exorbitant shipping costs, I will pay a little extra to buy & get it now, locally. Still, if I know exactly what I want, I usually get it online.

5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I buy a lot online. I am left handed so all my holsters are bought online. I can't find any left handed locally.

6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I'll check prices on line, then check out the local stores to see what they have. Once I find what I want, I try to buy it locally. I want my neighbor to be able to keep his store open, it's to my benefit as well as everyone else's in our community. The guy that runs the General Store in Elysian Fields, TX, also is an FFL dealer. If I want a specific gun, I usually just stop in, tell him what I want, and go pay for it when it comes in.

Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle and dbcooper like this.
  7. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

I have developed a relationship with a local gun store. He spends a couple of weekends every month traveling the State of Florida, South Georgia and Alabama selling at Gun Shows. If I am looking for a particular part, he will keep an eye out and will pick one up at a show for me. It pays to develop a relationship with a local shop

BlackEagle likes this.
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Same thing with auto parts. We have a NAPA and an independent store which get 99% of my business as well as from our shop.

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I live 25 miles to nearest town. 40 miles to nearest city. I order almost everything other than groceries off the internet. Even with shipping it is cheaper than driving to town.

10. Rewind

Rewind Active Member

My thinking was not where I buy (online vs. local) but the amount of information available sometimes (for me) makes, making which widget to buy difficult. Especially when reading reviews of an item.

BlackEagle likes this.