The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I just like shooting and hadn't got into nitty gritty on gun history or worth. My dad was a huge collector and I'm going to have to get some more info on other older guns as well. Today though I want help with this Luger.

AFAIK all the serial numbers match down to the magazine. I have no idea how much it is worth and I want an idea. I plan on keeping it in the family if possible since my father saw to it he had 4 historical ww2 Lugers to pass down to us sons. It is a little beat up though.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
The pitting and corrosion cuts the value way down, but I'd estimate that the value is still 'north' of $1000 even as is. If it were mine, I wouldn't do anything to it other than preserving what is left. I'd use a really good gun oil or CLP and clean it well. Make sure you get the preservative oil into the corroded spots especially. Keep the oil away from those wooden grips - it will soak in and weaken them. Learn how to properly disassemble the pistol and clean it well - make sure you apply that preservative oil to the places that you clean. You don't want to remove any of the remaining finish.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You might try using Kroil and rubbing it with scraps of burlap. (I would NOT use very fine steel wool on it, unless absolutely necessary - and only very lightly on the heavy rust areas if then.) [In conjunction with the Kroil.]
Afterwords - a good gun oil, CLP etc.

Bring back from Dad?

*Welcome to the Forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Would you guys recommend a possible ultrasonic cleaning? I think my local gun store has the option.

No KenK, he was an avid WW2 buff and was particularly interested in the Axis and Allies weaponry. He had things from the Lugers to the old Brownings and 1911's. My older brother got the only Mauser C96 handgun he had. I ended up with a Star 1911, the Luger, Soviet Mosin Nagant, IJ Eagle XL, Sig Sauer P250, S&W .38 Special (US Navy), Taurus PT92 AF, VZ58 Sporter & a .22 rifle. I stood to inherite a lot of other guns (most are .22's and 12 gauges, he had WAY too many guns) but I am letting my brother sell a good portion of my lot to take care of my dads debts. We plan on going out to the house again to do another picking party. I'm not even sure what all my brothers got from his collection or what all he had since we never found his "log book". All we know is there is roughly a well stocked gun stores worth of firearms he owned.

I'm trying to get all my stuff dated/etc. Some of them need cleaned pretty good as well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Just my 2 cents . I bought my ultra sonic cleaner at Harbor Freight for I think $50 with a 20% coupon to help clean my gun parts . It's not real big but service my purpose . Don't know what your gun shop charges but something to consider .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts