Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I just inherited an Iver Johnson shotgun. I don't know much about it at all. I suppose my questions here are A) What exactly is it? I don't even know what gauge it is B) What is it worth and C) What should I do to restore it and make it useable? I'm not one to own a firearm that doesn't function and get used periodically. The metal has seen a pretty good amount of rust and resembles cast iron more than it does blued steel because of all the shallow pitting. The stock is cracked pretty badly and will definitely need to be replaced. On the left side of the receiver the words "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass U.S.A." are engraved. On the bottom of the trigger guard it has the numbers "31484". The buttpad doesn't have an owl on it like most of the others that I have seen, it simply says "Iver Johnson". It has two triggers, one to fire and one to release the break action. The flat, metal spring that works the break action release trigger is broken (if anyone knows the name of this part and where to get a replacement that would be awesome). I also noticed that the hammer looks different than it did on all of the other Iver Johnson single shots that I've seen. There is a small, plastic pad on the bottom of the rear stock that has the initials I.J. on it. I have attached some images below. Thank y'all in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Listed in Goforth's Iver Johnson book as the 'Ejector Single Gun 1897-1904, Semi hammerless, ring trigger break open mechanism'

Value only as a wall-hanger in condition shown, and any 'restoration' attempt will not increase value.

It would not be safe to fire with current smokeless powder shells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hrf for the response. Any attempts at restoration would not be to make it more valuable, only to make it more functional; however, if it can't fire modern, smokeless cartridges then I wouldn't even bother with it.

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
My Cabela's had 3 or 4 of them a year ago. They were in ok shape. They were asking $120 for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.