The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This has been in the family as long as I can remember and was displayed with a Civil War Calvary sword so I’m guessing that it’s mid-1800s, but can anyone identify the maker that belongs to this mark?
8907E65D-6A46-4022-8F69-A61C1A31FB65.jpeg

2C1B78CF-51E1-4D2C-B706-CC513D29CDA2.jpeg

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Pictures of the doublr in its entirety and any other marks would be of benefit. Your guess of the date is probably pretty close. As the the maker, not likely you'll ever know. The "ELG" in the oval denotes Belgian proof and manufacture. "JC" might be the inspector.

Whoever took a wire brush to it should absolutely cease and desist. I hope they went no farther. Ordinarily those don't have a lot of value as it is and to " clean them up" takes away what little they have.

Reactions: jim brady

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
As Sharps has pointed out the gun was made and proofed in Belgium. The Inspector's mark is a crown over the letter Y, This dates the piece from mid 1850's to the mid 1870's when the inspector's mark was changed to a star over a letter.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You guys did better than I did. I was like a flea sitting on an elephant's back trying to describe what an elephant looks like.

If you have the rest of this firearm and could take wider view pictures it would be of great help! It would be nice to see that sword, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts