The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this rifle that has been in our family since approximately the Civil War (as the story goes). It measures 52" in length, the barrel is approx 35 1/4", the tip outside measurement is 1 1/4" with a 3/4" hole. It all seems to be together - there is a few scratches on wood and of course over the many years the dirt has accumulated to discolor the wood. It has not been fired - just a displayed or stored. We can find no markings. I was wanting to know what it might be worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Any marking (Names numbers symbols) stamped on it would help. Do not attempt to clean the discoloration. It is called "Patina". And removing it may significantly LOWER values.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Your pictures are so out of focus that they are almost useless, it could be a gin-u-wine antique worth a bunch of pocket change or a recent reproduction.
Sorry about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun is genuine. It was on our family farm in Kansas - in the west room where items were put when one generation died and the next took over and any unwanted items were put in this room. My Grandfathers family was from PA and Grandmothers were from KS by way of Canada. My pictures were clear but some how are unfocused when I downloaded. I can try to download again or send via email. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
IMO really rare that there are no markings. Most gunmakers will put something on to ID their work. Possibly worn off, or under barrel. I'd suggest having a gunsmith take it apart for a look-see.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Fuzzy pictures don't flatter it at all, but if it is as good as it seems to be, maybe $400. If the bore is 3/4" and rifled it is exceptional, more likely bored out smooth for use as a shotgun, which doesn't help.

I have a similar rifle with 1 1/4 x 36 1/4" octagon barrel about .50 cal. made by Leman. It is one the gov't gave to Indians being moved from AL and MS to Indian Territory, early moves each man got a rifle, a blanket and a mule - so the story goes. Later the gov't was less kind and it became the 'trail of tears'. My gun came from one of the Indian famlies here in OK with their story to my Father (1898-1976) and I was able to get confirmation from some old records as to Leman being one of the contractors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you - I am not sure what "rifled" is. But the octogon barrel has not been altered. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
if the bore is 3/4 inch and smooth bore it will be smooth inside to sight and to feel. A rifled barrel has ridges inside running lenthwise that will also be visible. DEpending on time it was done and its type the muzzle hole can look hexagonal or maybe 5 sided but in any case not smooth. You can get full info about rifle, rifling, etc fro internet searches like google or wikipedia.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Take your pics from a little farther away rather than extreme closeups. They will stay in focus better.

Looks like some rust in some areas that would have to be cleaned up before it could ever fire safely. Looks like some rust on the barrel also. This all could indicate rust in the bore as well.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The general style and appearance would date it to the late 1850's just before the Civil War, but it is not a military weapon and would not have seen war use. The silver whatsis on the left side of the butt stock is not original; it was probably added many years after the rifle was retired.

Jim

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Use the macro setting of your camera for the closeups, or borrow a camera that has same, and take pics in natural light without a flash.

I see the ramrod is missing, but get a 36" dowel or other rod and measure inside of bore to see if it's still loaded: It's very common to find these with a 150 year old load intact, as that's how they were usually kept in the farmhouse, so that only the percussion cap was needed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Agree with Jim's assessment. Hope the barrel hasn't been reamed out--because presence of a curly maple stock indicates it was once a better grade half stock rifle, probably PA/OH origin. Interesting that it lacks the set trigger, but trigger guard size indicates it never had one. Definately not military, definately not a trade gun. Waiting for better pics...

ONE OTHER THING--it appears to have cheek rests on either side! Probably made for a lefty but with a right's cheek rest so "normal' people could shoot it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts