The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently Inherited this gun. Looks like a 1903 maybe and seems to chamber 30-06 perfectly. Does anyone have any advice for determining the caliber or know anything about the gun? It is heavily engraved with no visible serial number. Would one be hidden somewhere? Please help! Thank you!
A49E8355-C89F-4C87-A913-F0A96F3DAE55.jpeg

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
The serial number will be on the right side of the receiver ring (front of the receiver where it meets the barrel). That rifle was sporterized long before the 1968 gun control act, before serial numbers were required, and some thought it was okay to polish them off. It's not.
Touching off the wrong cartridge in that rifle can cause you to have a very bad day. Take it to a qualified gunsmith, and have him do a chamber cast, and check the headspace, it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The serial number will be on the right side of the receiver ring (front of the receiver where it meets the barrel). That rifle was sporterized long before the 1968 gun control act, before serial numbers were required, and some thought it was okay to polish them off. It's not.
Touching off the wrong cartridge in that rifle can cause you to have a very bad day. Take it to a qualified gunsmith, and have him do a chamber cast, and check the headspace, it's cheap insurance.
Thank you for the help. I am struggling to find the location you’re referring to. Do I need to disassemble?

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
Trap, it might help for someone that is unfamiliar with the way the gun looks, to post a larger picture with an arrow pointing to that spot.

I know where that is on a 1903 but I bet my granddaughter wouldn't.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Alpo, you're right, didn't think about it until after I posted it. Enlarged his pic, and couldn't see any traces of his serial number, and you know how deep they were stamped. If someone removed enough of that receiver to take it off, that raises some new concerns. The build looks to be old school quality, and the fact it's still intact tells me there's a very high probability it was heat treated. Then there's the low serial number concern.
@GoatBoy19, can you compare that area on your rifle from the pic I posted? If so, can you get a closeup pic of that spot on yours?
If it's not there, there is a process to reveal the serial number. When it's stamped, the steel molecules are compressed under the stamping, and a chemical process procedure will reveal them. Good news, you can do this at home. Bad news, it will remove the bluing from that spot.

·
Super Moderator
28,951 Posts
If you blow those pictures up, there's nothing there.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alpo, you're right, didn't think about it until after I posted it. Enlarged his pic, and couldn't see any traces of his serial number, and you know how deep they were stamped. If someone removed enough of that receiver to take it off, that raises some new concerns. The build looks to be old school quality, and the fact it's still intact tells me there's a very high probability it was heat treated. Then there's the low serial number concern.
@GoatBoy19, can you compare that area on your rifle from the pic I posted? If so, can you get a closeup pic of that spot on yours?
If it's not there, there is a process to reveal the serial number. When it's stamped, the steel molecules are compressed under the stamping, and a chemical process procedure will reveal them. Good news, you can do this at home. Bad news, it will remove the bluing from that spot.
Trapp, definitely nothing there. Upon further inspection there was a light stamp on the barrel that had R.G. Owens, but no serial. Looks like it was sporterized by Robert Owens in the 1920’s. Pretty cool! With that information I was able to find documentation in the previous owners records labeling it as 30-06 as suspected. Thank you all for the help

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Wish you would have found that before I got a headache trying to remember who did that arrowhead inlay in the stock! That arrowhead in the second pic was Bob's trademark. Who ever you inherited that from, but they must have thought you were pretty special. Take good care of it!
On the barrel, it will say "R.G. Owen-Sauquoit,N.Y. No XXX", where the X's are is your serial number. The "arrow" in the stock is referred to as the "Sauquiot Arrow". Depending on the options, these go for anywhere between $3500 and $8000.

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
Valuable? Trap, you must be wrong.

That's a MILSURP, and it's been BUBBAED!!!!!!!!!

Oh the humanity. Another MILSURP - one of the rarest and most precious firearms in the existence of mankind - has had someone take it from its pristine military condition and hack and file and sand on it until it doesn't look like a military rifle anymore.

You know every time that happens, God kills a kitten.

:D :p

Reactions: ms6852 and soundguy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts