The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent two days trying to finalize an order for reloading equipment. After determining what I wanted I checked prices from five different suppliers, MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Cabala's, Brownell, and Cheaper Than Dirt.

Midway was the only supplier that had every item on the list. They were also the highest price, but not by much. Cheaper Than Dirt had the lowest prices on almost every item, but the total difference was only 7% which is less than I expected.

It was interesting that Cabala's and Brownell had exactly the same price on every item they had and they also had exactly the same stock. If one of them stocked an item they both did and if one did not stock an item the other didn't stock it either. Makes it seem like there is one store with two different names.

I attached a copy of the spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Attachments

· Registered
19,158 Posts
i did near the same a while back when placing a big order... in some cases.. getting all or much of it from 1 dealer saves vs other shipping charges. IE.. don't want to split up primer orderes or ammo orders from 2 palces and get 2 hazmat or orm-d tag fee's.. etc..

· Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did near the same a while back when placing a big order... in some cases.. getting all or much of it from 1 dealer saves vs other shipping charges. IE.. don't want to split up primer orderes or ammo orders from 2 palces and get 2 hazmat or orm-d tag fee's.. etc..
Yeah, I saw that. It looks like it will be cheaper for me to buy powder and primers locally because the hazmat fees drive the price way up. I haven't priced powder yet because I don't know what I'll be using, but primers are going for about $39/1000 and that is cheaper than buying on-line and paying the shipping and hazmat.

· Registered
158 Posts
I always buy my powder and primers locally, the shop I go to for them has primers for $30 per 1000, and powder is around $18 per LB depending on the type/brand. Depending on the bullets I am getting depends on where I get them from. For my 30/30, one order of 1000 150gr RN a few years ago will probly last me a life time. Same with my handgun bullets except my 44mag. Cabelas is about an hour away, so I rarely order anything from them, just drive to the store and get it. Most of the rest of my stuff, my local shop will get it for me and usually is less than Cabelas. He got me a Lee loadmaster in 45acp for $209 plus tax, extra shell plates and other die sets that I wanted for it as well. I take a list of what I want with part numbers and he gets it for me. I try to support my local business owners whenever I can. My local shop also sells target shotshells in most gauges cheap enough that it isn't worth me loading my own anymore.

· Super Moderator
47,547 Posts
If you have some "buddies" who also reload, and you can go in together to share primer orders it helps to buy them by the case and share the haz-mat fees. Last time I bought primers I got a case of them from Graf and sons for $99.95 plus the $27.50 haz-mat and it was still cheaper than buying them a 1000 each at the local store.

Sometimes Grafs has a "haz-mat sale" where they will pay the fees for you plus they don't charge shipping, just a flat rate handling charge, this week it is something like $5.95 for online orders.

· Registered
5,274 Posts
Midway was the only supplier that had every item on the list. They were also the highest price, but not by much. Cheaper Than Dirt had the lowest prices on almost every item, but the total difference was only 7% which is less than I expected.
Did you factor in the Bullseye Bargain at Midway? If you do that, you may find that they end up a little lower than MidSouth. Both great to deal with though, so go where you feel most comfortable. I'd rather just deal with only one single order rather than multiples; I'm a little funny that way.

Ditto what George said about Graf, they're worth price checking too.

Great spreadsheet btw !

· Registered
3,128 Posts
I primarily use Midway for 'stuff' and Grafs for primers/powder and components. Midway generally has the best availability at any given time. Brownells is my first go-to for any gun parts. But I've found that midway is almost always cheaper than brownels, even with my discount.

pretty nice spreadsheet ya got there, I'm sure it will get some good use by others also.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out Graff & sons on some of the prices and they seem to be slightly higher or the same as Midway. I didn't check primers or powder. So it seems that "Cheaper Than Dirt" is the lowest price on just about everything. Anyone have experience with them? I had never even heard of them until about a week ago.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
I checked out Graff & sons on some of the prices and they seem to be slightly higher or the same as Midway. I didn't check primers or powder. So it seems that "Cheaper Than Dirt" is the lowest price on just about everything. Anyone have experience with them? I had never even heard of them until about a week ago.
I really like your spreadsheet, Taking things to the molecular level, lets see these totals after adding in shipping. Grafs for instance has flat 4.95 S&H and $25 haz if it applies. Powder Valley seems great on the surface but last time I purchased from them I paid $45 S&H plus Haz...this does affect each one of us regionally depending on your specific location to the distributor, but Grafs is a clear winner for me.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like your spreadsheet, Taking things to the molecular level, lets see these totals after adding in shipping. Grafs for instance has flat 4.95 S&H and $25 haz if it applies. Powder Valley seems great on the surface but last time I purchased from them I paid $45 S&H plus Haz...this does affect each one of us regionally depending on your specific location to the distributor, but Grafs is a clear winner for me.
Yeah, shipping costs can be a lot different. I'll load shopping carts from each tomorrow and see what the shipping costs are. From Cheaper than dirt the the total shipping for the items on their list is $62.28. I don't have shipping cost from the others.

· Registered
146 Posts
That is whats going to get you. Cheaper than Dirt has good prices but the shipping kills ya. I ordered my press and stuff from Midsouth and would recommend them to anyone. I also like Midway and Natchez. If it were me I would try to buy it all at one place or at least most of it. And the bullseye rebates do make a big difference sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.