The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been busy cranking out mostly Target loads for handguns. Loaded 200 BNWC for K38 this morning.
Loaded 200 45 Colt with RNFP 250gr when I ran into a split case. Not one to give up easily on a brass, I trimmed it down to good . Loaded it up with a .452” ball. I calls it the 45 Colt Crat. This is a specialty load for shooting critters so low that you shoot over top them with back sight bottomed out.
Now back to the bench. Starting on 200 DEW 38s for the m52s. Will get them primed and belled by quitting time. Will stuff them in AM.
Table Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ain’t shot it yet. Powder P-5066 at 4.0gr. I bought a bunch of obsolete powders at an estate auction a couple years ago. They weren’t getting bids. Seems like there was nobody there who was buying powder. Got it dirt cheap. I thought I was going to buy all the powder for pennies. Then the popular powders came on the block and bids went crazy. Maybe I was only one old enough to know what they were. 16lb of W-630, $4.50. All these were sealed and powders were good as they were new.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One time when I was in my early 20s the local Sheriff had a old single shot derringer in a 44 cal. He ask me if I could make some up. He sent deputy over with 100 new 44mg brass. I cranked about 3 before I motorized my case trimmer with electric drill. I did about 3 more before I cut a little V block and cut the bulk off with Dremil cut off wheels and just used trimmer to fine tune and square case mouth. Pure lead ball run through sizer and light charge of Unique. I shot it a few times, belly buster but made Sheriff happy. His grandkids went through 100 every 4th of July. The pond was the target. I got to clean gun and reload every year.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
I cut cases off with a Skil, dremel type tool for decades befor I finally invested in one of those little Harbor Freight chop saws. Man, what a giant leap forward.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Looks like a 45 auto rim.

I load 200grain rfp cast in 38spl cases at 35k psi and 1.6 oal. I call it 38 extra special and shoot it in my fast 10 twist relined marlin 94 carbine. Its the most accurate load I have for it. I dont hunt with it but it shoots nice tight groups in paper for a lever rifle. Get about 1450+/- fps w lil'gun. Shoots about 1" at 50yrds which isn't to bad for a remlin. I did ream a rifle chamber in it and not a SAMMI revolver chamber - bullets set 20mils off the lands at 1.6 OAL.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cut cases off with a Skil, dremel type tool for decades befor I finally invested in one of those little Harbor Freight chop saws. Man, what a giant leap forward.
I just bought the min table saw. It does accurate cuts but has no guts. Going to beef it up with a 110v Fasco 1/10hp motor. I have little lathe I was building for cases for 7.65 French but traded gun off before project was finished. I’m hell on building contraptions out of aluminum and sewing machine motors. Here it is sitting next to my “Singer” case prep machine. That I just finished running 38sp cases on. Have another piece that is a gear box off a vent that goes between motor and tail stock.
Got it wired to be controlled with foot pedal that plugs into unit. I put shell holder on lathe and counter sunk screw head threaded through primer hole. This was suppose to hold case to turn rim, brass rod from tail stock was to support it.
Wood Bumper Workbench Tool Gas

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
I just turn a mandrel to fit snugly in the case neck/mouth, slip it in the case, tighten it all together in the chuck and use a live center in the tail stock and slip that into the primer pocket. You can turn off the rim and re-cut an extractor groove in a hurry.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about 45 Colt Super Short !
Gary
Hate to say it but short as it is the concept shot over some heads.
Shoot low Sheriff, their riding Shetlands. I’m loading DEW right now for m52. Got a couple split 38sp brass. I might invent another cartridge today and name it 38 Nancy Special. Used along same line as the 45 Colt Crat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts