Iowa Pheasants

2K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  warpig 
G
#1 ·
reedbuster
V.I.P. Forum Host
(11/4/01 6:12:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Iowa Pheasants
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a great week...

We took 33 pheasants, 5 Mallards, 3 Widgeons, a blue winged teal and 1 honker. Pheasant population way down this year but we still managed to have a great time. Got some good stories for you all later. Gotta go do some gear maint. and clean a couple of shotguns.
Browning-The Best There Is.

warpig883
(11/4/01 11:02:16 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Iowa Pheasants
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad you had a great time. What shotgun were you shooting? A Gold or a A-5?
I am not happy unless I am miserable

reedbuster
V.I.P. Forum Host
(11/5/01 12:07:34 am)
I use an A-5 or my big Citori for swackin' ducks but for the pheasant I use a citori white upland

24 in barrels with improved over true cyl. Use 6's in the true and a 5 in the improved

2 3/4 only, It is the fastest shotgun I have ever shot. Its great for close in work.
I guess I should say that those are steel shot sizes If on private land I use lead 7 1/2's

Edited by: reedbuster at: 11/5/01 12:11:20 am

warpig883
(11/5/01 6:10:23 am)
Sounds like you like the same as me. I also like the shorter barrel and open chokes. I always use 4 or 5 shot on pheasants though. I bought a couple boxes of hevi-shot the other day to try on geese. Now if I can ever get out of the house to go goose hunting. I have never taken my A-5 out in the snow and ice duck or goose hunting. Always been afraid I wodd drop it out of the boat or something. I have always takedn an old beater for that stuff, I think I will use it this year.

reedbuster
V.I.P. Forum Host
(11/5/01 11:05:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Duck, Duck, Goose
Man, In the old days lead 2's at thirty yds was the ticket. Now I use Steel BB or BBB at the same range, Same results. Its like unleashing a bee hive on em'

P.S. A goose can be killed with a steel 6 .

Edited by: reedbuster at: 11/5/01 11:08:25 pm

twins
V.I.P. Member
(11/6/01 2:12:24 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Iowa Pheasants
What in the hell part of Iowa were you hunting to bag that many pheasants?

reedbuster
V.I.P. Forum Host
(11/6/01 6:29:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Iowa Pheasants
Twins,

Remember me askin' fer a road report? I think I was on the other side of the state from you. We hunted primarily around the Okaboji and Spirit Lake area, Spent 1 Day in the SW corner of the state. That must have been 1 hell of a winter and spring you all had. The DNR said the bird population was down 59%. We hunted very hard everyday from start to close. Alot of corn still in which didnt help matters either. But we had a good time and we did manage to push more than our fair share out. Saw some pics of the spring hail storm, It pounded the vinyl siding completely off my cousins home. It is all very sad, but on the upshot I think alot more people will now understand how important the pheasant population is and help.

warpig883
(11/6/01 11:05:39 pm)
I think we need to string up some chicken wire and keep those birds in South Dakota

oldguide32
V.I.P. Member
(11/9/01 10:43:06 am)
Were you anywhere near Sioux City?? I have a son living there. Don't think he hunts however.

warpig883
(11/9/01 4:35:33 pm)
Sioux City is about 1 1/2 hours from me.
custom signature

reedbuster
V.I.P. Forum Host
(11/9/01 7:10:13 pm)
Jack, we were a little north and east of Sioux City, about an hour. Tucked up right against the Minn. Border

oldguide32
V.I.P. Member
(11/11/01 9:44:26 am)
OK, thanks.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.