Is He Lying or Uninformed??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

tuckerd1
    (5/17/01 5:12:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Is He Lying or Uninformed??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was in a local shop this afternoon and had made up my mind to purchase a used stock Kimber Classic Custom. Being the penny pincher that I am, I asked the counter guy (non mgr) what he'd take for the pistol. He looks at the tag, pulls out his calculator and gives me a price. I said I'll give you so&so for it(5% below what he quoted.) He said I can't authorize that but we can ask the mgr (not the owner). The mgr hears my offer and very loudly and arrogantly says "NOT ON THAT GUN!"

Strike 1, a simple no would have been fine and then we could have went on with our business.

I walked around the shop thinking of whether I wanted the gun or not at the other price. I decided I would, but before I tell them to write it up, I ask the manager what his bottom price was. He said it was the price already quoted. Then he said in his arrogant way "I can't go any lower that. That is a $1000.00 gun."

Strike 2, First thought was 'you lying sack of s**t'. That gun has a suggested retail of $730.00. That burnt me up. I all of a sudden felt like I was in some sleasy used car lot. Then I told him, "I was going to buy the gun, but not after you said that." I turned and walked out of the shop.

I just hate someone to try to jack me around like that.

The shop is not a Kimber dealer so this guy may not know his prices (benefit of the doubt), but he does a large volume in Springfields, Colts and other manuf. as well.

I know there are some dealers out there. What say ya'll??

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/17/01 5:33:00 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Is He Lying or Uninformed??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After giving it some thought, I'm gonna say an uninformed liar.
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/17/01 6:01:26 pm)
    To little info for me to make a call. How used? What was the real price before a discount was given and what was your offer, and what was the model number as Kimber has 13 models and 3 times the configurations(Custom&Standard)....it could have been a base gun with factory options(internals ect). If he is not a big Kimber dealer and does not know whats up, they will send him odd ball customs and Kimber also hates to have their pistols discounted...kinda like Arm-A-Lite and DSA....some even make you sign a agreement(Whinnerby)LTS

M Opaliski
    (5/17/01 6:02:07 pm)
    I am drawing the conclusion that he is well aware that an uninformaed someone will walk through the door that is willing to pay around $200 more than the firearm is worth, and, he is willing to wait for that person.

You did good, if for yourself only ... why not be the most informed buyer you can be, right?

Look around, perhaps find one elsewhere, if nothing comes up at least you were not taken advantage of. At least you know that much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

tuckerd1
    (5/17/01 9:00:35 pm)
    LTS, To clear things up, the asking price was 589, he reduced to 577 and I offered 550. All 3 okay prices for used. The gun was in VG to Exc condition. From all indications this was a normal production run Classic Custom.

Matt, It wasn't the selling price, I was going to buy it, but the attitude and overstatement of its value when new just got under my skin. Don't tell me what appears to be a lie or gross exageration about something as if I'm an idiot. If he does it to me this time and gets away with it, what will he try the next time?

I may not be an expert, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck either. I do some research before I purchase.

shooter22
    (5/17/01 9:21:13 pm)
    LAck of respect on the dealers part toward me was what got me into the FFL business in the first place. First and foremost I lay it on the line what I know about a particular firearm, and assume that the buyer knows more than me as I am hoping he has done research to what he is purchasing. It simply takes the "Makes you look stupid" part out of the transaction for both sides.

SHOOTER22

polishshooter
    (5/17/01 9:22:39 pm)
    Don't you just HATE guys like that? And they are a dime a dozen...

"Everything I got to sell you is golden, everything you have to sell or trade me is crap."

I'd walk too even if it WAS a good deal, I'd pay too much with a smile if the guy treats me like HE'D like to be treated...

I was at the Indy 1500 one time, of course with an MN on my back for sale. My son wanted to look at this table of "Airsoft" guns, had the money to buy one too.

As we are looking, another guy asks to look at my MN, I put my bag on the edge of this guys table, I know, my bad, but there wasn't anybody else looking at his stuff EXCEPT my son, and while this other guy and I are "haggling," the owner of the table, who BTW is ignoring my son, comes over and rudely tells me to leave, this is his table, and his livelihood, and how he should charge me a commission if I sell NEAR his table, get my crap off his table. I said, sorry, I understand, and walked away. My son did too, and said, "What a JERK!"

He ended up spending his money elsewhere just because of that attitude.

I realize good "Customer Service" is an art that most people can't perform, but what the heck ever happened to common courtesy?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/17/01 9:38:02 pm)
    tuckerd1, unless this was excellent plus, with all the stuff that came with it...I would pass even at your low price offer. First, if you really want a Kimber....move up a few notches. Just my real feelings for a happy camper(you) I would take a really hard look at the Springfield 1911A1 LOADED Full Size...Blued....right around $600.00 NIB, these are loaded to the gills with options. I have a stainless and blued in this style....for the money...you will not find a better package or pistol. JMHO LTS

I you must have a Kimber, give me the "exact" model number and I`ll shoot you a price. They only come in Matte Blue(Blue) or Stainless, the exact model number will give the finish and grade.

tuckerd1
    (5/17/01 10:06:10 pm)
    LTS, It would have been my first purchase with this shop and with a purchase of 500 or more I would get 6 months free indoor range time, 5% off future purchases 5 free range gun rentals. Made the 577 look better for the used gun. But the attitude killed the sell.

Polish, I too will pay extra for good customer service and where they treat you with respect. We have a small shop here in town that does may FFL transfers for 10.00. I have even asked him if he is charging enough for the transfers, and he says he wants to keep his customers coming back for other things. I have bought some things from him I could have bought for less at Wally World. He is a new business and I'm trying to advertise him to others.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 5/17/01 11:12:27 pm

TYRVR
    (5/17/01 10:48:45 pm)
    Rudeness or Ignorance, Who cares, there are too many merchants with genuine interest in their product and customers to give Your custom to, best revenge? buy somplace else, You and all others that have been victims of this Dolt will cause his failure,

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/17/01 11:00:44 pm)
    Tuck, I think that dealer 's been out in the sun too long. He could have another model Kimber in mind, but rudeness doesn't sell.

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 9:57:36 pm)
    Well, this guy has done me a favor. Because of his actions, I walked out the door and started my hunt for the pistol again. Today I was able to purchase a Kimber Classic Custom Target "as NIB-2nd owner, never been fired by 1st or 2nd" for less than he was selling the Kimber Classic Custom for.

Things can work out for the good.

gpostal
    (5/20/01 10:00:53 am)
    polish i couldn't have said it better myself , every thing they have is gold what i have is crap, this is one reason i don't buy from gun shows ,when i go into a strange gun or pawn shop i, ask about a gun whether i am really interested or not, just to see how i will be treated ,it is amazing how some people stay in business

i have a few dealers i will buy off of because i know i will be treated right ,i will sometimes pay a little more just to give them my business and will be treated fair and like a adult, why go to a j.o. dealer just to save twenty bucks? i haven't figured out if some dealers are misinformed or just liars ,

oh this gun is one of a thousand that's why i need two hundred over book
    one owner gun
    never fired
    pre-ban single barrel shot gun
    they don't make these anymore
    Taurus is as good as beretta
    why pay more for a colt when i have this llama

and of course , "Elvis owned this gun"

polishshooter
    (5/20/01 10:10:12 am)
    If Elvis REALLY owned that Llama I betcha we could get Bob to pay $200 over book...Heck, maybe $2k...

Bob In St Louis
    (5/20/01 3:21:13 pm)
    I already have a Star Model S that was owned by Elvis - it's engraved "Love Me Tender" and "Elvis" and it is silver plated. I just can't figure out why they spelled Elvis "Elvris". I'll part with it for $5,000.00
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

tuckerd1
    (5/20/01 3:45:49 pm)
    Bob, That wasn't Elvis, it was my brother in law Elvris Jones. It was a present from his sweet little wife Tender Pattie. She had it engraved "Love me Tender" asking for him to love her again after her and some guy named Polish sold his 44 Redhawk. Hop you didn't pay too much for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.