The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opend a box of 100 premium bullets from this manufacturor and two bullets in the box were the wrong caliber, wrong nose, wrong weight, etc.

Yikes, I was kinda surprised to see that. This was picked up during the loading process and was not readily determable when I initially dumped the new bullets directly from the newly opened package into the empty loading tray. I incorrectly assumed these would all be the same caliber, same weight and same construction (hollow point jacketed) - WRONG ASSUMPTION.

When I found this, I was thinking ....gee, I wonder if any of the other bullets in the new Horandy package were the correct caliber but the wrong weight????

Yikes, that kinda scares me since it could be dangerous... Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Now I am thinking maybe I should pull these (or toss these).... UHG!

I hate contacting Hornady Customer Service, since they now know me on a first name basis. I had to call them about 20 times on a new LNL AP before I finally gave up on their press.

Thx...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I would ask for a shipping label to send the bullets back to them!

Can only imagine they would do something to correct their mistake to uphold their image. Most firearm related businesses will bend over backwards to keep a loyal customer.

I recenlty had a box of Nosler ballistic tips, there was one that had a severe corrosion blemish on it and Rainier ballistics bulk packs frequently have one oddball caliber bullet in them.

I would expect 100% from a box of 50 or 100 rifle bullets though.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have 5 other unopened new boxes of the same Hornady bullets - jacketed hollow points. These were obtained by me free from purchasing new Hornmady tunston/carbide dies and a new Hornady LNL AP press.

Should I weigh and inspect each bullet in these new packages or try to send them back to Hornady?

I will not use any of their bullets now, without convincing evidence that the package contains what the label says it does.

The more I think about the possibilities, the more this concerns me.

Am I over-reacting or is this a possible safety issue that should be considered carefully before the ammo is used?

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
About two months ago I opened a new box of 44 cal. .430" #44200, 240 GR HP/XTP's. I thought nothing about it when I opened it. I started out with 100 primers, and 100 pieces of brass. I put the brass into the blocks and the primers into the priming tubes and I was ready to go so I began reloading. As I continued to reload I realized there were not enough bullets. When I was done I had 19 primers and 19 pieces of brass left over. That means I was short 19 bullets. :mad:

I called Hornady customer service and explained my situation to a lady there. The tone in her voice convinced me that she thought I was either being untruthful, or just plain crazy. She asked me where I bought them and I told her I did not know. I had bought the bullets years before and I had finally opened them so I was not sure when or where I had bought them. They could have been between seven and ten years old. She was silent and then offered me a free t-shirt. :mad:

If your box contains several different bullet weights I would not worry too much about the safety issue because you should be able to spot them. Worst case scenario is place them on the bench together and you will see the incorrect ones. If you want to weigh them that will work but with .357 for example there is a noticable difference between the 125 GR and the 158 GR. It is easy to see.

I have never had any issues like this with any other company and this was the first with Hornady. Also the t-shirt looks good on my wife.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have 5 other unopened new boxes of the same Hornady bullets - jacketed hollow points. These were obtained by me free from purchasing new Hornmady tunston/carbide dies and a new Hornady LNL AP press.

Should I weigh and inspect each bullet in these new packages or try to send them back to Hornady?

I will not use any of their bullets now, without convincing evidence that the package contains what the label says it does.

The more I think about the possibilities, the more this concerns me.

Am I over-reacting or is this a possible safety issue that should be considered carefully before the ammo is used?
I think you are over reacting. I also received 500 free 9mm XTPs from Hornady. Two of the 500 had one side that was flat, but I weighed and measured ten bullets from each box of 100 and found the weight and diameters to be very consistent.

If there are bullets of a different caliber you should be able to spot them very easy. After you have picked up enough bullets of the same caliber your fingers will get calibrated very quickly. If one is a different caliber you will know it without even looking.

If you have any doubts weigh and measure the bullet. It does not take very long and will give you confidence.

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
its a sign from above that you need to add the calibers to your collection! so just what caliber were they? its time to start looking for it!

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is true for all bullet companies--or all other companies, too.
The reloader must inspect.
You would be surprised how many times they can have two or more lines running and the different line have just enough difference in the swaging dies that you can find variation in ogive and meplat in almost all boxes of 100.
In your case, someone may have picked up a couple of bullets from one bin to look at and tossed them back in the wrong bin.

·
Super Moderator
44,789 Posts
I can say that this has not happened with any bullets I have bought.

I will tell a short story of the time I bought several different caliber and weights from Berry's. They used the Post Office to ship them. When I got the package, most of the boxes of bullets inside the larger shipping box were busted open. I had a tremendous amount of fun digging through a mixture of about 2000 bullets in different calibers. All of those little gold bullets looked alike after a while. I am still finding an occasional .44 bullet in with the .357 ones. I blame this on the Post Office, I am sure someone picked up the heavy box and threw it into a piece of equipment, believe me when I say I see that every day

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I have been reloading for over 25 years fro some 30 different cartridges and have never found a shortage in the boxed bullets form Speer, Sierra, or Hornady. In contrast, I have occasionally found one or two extras bullets.

I bought a bulk packaged large order of Remington rifle bullets that were re-packaged by the supplier. Apparently the same weight and caliber bullets from different lots got mixed together and each lot had a slightly different OGIVE and body shape which affected the seating depth. That is, each of the two types seated to different points so that the cannelure, when set up for crimping one type, was not correct for the other type. I had to go through the entire bag of bullets and separate them into the two types and reload them separately with an adjustment to the bullet seating and crimping die. Once the two types were compared, the difference was visible.

Who's mistake: the re-packager or Remington's? The fact that the Remington bullets vary that much from lot to lot is disconcerting. They are "BULK Bullets" and maybe that says something about all the "Bulk" bullets from Remington and maybe even Winchester too, who also sells "Bulk" bullets (??). I still buy them because the pricing is so much better and not all my re-loads have to be bench-rest perfect. I just look them over before using them.

LDBennett

·
Registered
140 Posts
Would it be appropriate to toss the BS flag here?

I see posts from the OP on this and a few other sites and there is a singular thread in them--bash Hornady or LnL or now bullets.
Guys, I have NO dog in this fight but my "spider sense" is tingling here.

Does the OP have a super hard on of Hornady? How can one guy have SO SO many issues with one company?

If it were me, I would just not deal with that company any more and move on.

Gary

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think of Hornady as being one of our finest suppliers of quality reloading supplies. I've had nothing but positive experiences in all my purchases with them. The only time I've found something weird was a single .223 bullet mixed in with a bunch of 45 acp bullets.

Now I've had Rainier send me approximately 5% 44 mag bullets with a 45 acp order, but that was years ago and they readily fixed the issue for me.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Everything we do in reloading is subject to human error. So Hornady made a mistake and got a wrong bullet in the box. That is not a good reason to abandon the use of Hornady bullets!

The same can be said of Hornady presses but RAJBCPA had a serious problem with the progressive LNL press as did the original poster on another thread. The problem was so bad that the other poster got a new press from Hornady which is working fine. During that thread several other issues surfaced on this press not previously related in years of this page. So it is a good question (" Is Hornady quality control going to [email protected]?"). RAJBCPA gave up on his LNL and bought a different press (Dillon??).

While I think giving up on Hornady for a bullet of the wrong caliber in the box of bullets is not justified, being frustrated by a press that refuses to work properly is justified. I had a Hornady shotgun press years ago that was terribly frustrating to use and I too gave up on it. I also gave up on Hornady as a press supplier when they refused to do the right thing and replace it with the newer model that reportedly fixed the problems. But I still buy Hornady bullets.

We sometimes feel relief from the frustration of being cheated by a manufacturer through the purchase of equipment or components that don't measure up by giving them a bad report. I have been there and done that and sometimes it gets a positive response from the manufacturer and sometimes it keeps others from getting screwed too. So it has some usefulness in my mind.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
My personal experience w/Hornady:
I've been using Hornady bullets for many years (along w/the other major brands for over thirty years), have loaded and fired at least a couple thousand of them without ever finding a box short on the count or with an incorrect bullet in it. I currently have over a thousand on hand right now representing at least a dozen different calibers and not that I'm about to look through them all now, I have little reason to doubt that they too will be correct as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts