Is it legal to own a full auto M16 LPK?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by cannonman, Jun 11, 2020.

1. zant

zant Well-Known Member

99% of all ARs sold have the FA bolt carrier-economically ignorant and stupid to make 2 different carriers when a FA works and does nothing to produce FA fire.

jim brady likes this.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I've got 3 ARs - one is a Colt Sp1, one is a Bushmaster M4 and the other is an Anderson. All 3 have the semi-auto style bolt carrier, and all 3 function perfectly. The longer cut out inside of the bolt carrier will not trip the full auto sear mechanism in an M16 full auto. Seems to me that back when Colt began to market the AR15 for civilian sales that the Feds made them make the bolt carrier differently to satisfy the rules governing full-auto vs. semi-auto sales. While the outside of the weapon looks like the military full auto/semi auto, the internals are different.

A full-auto style carrier will work in a semi-auto AR - but an AR carrier will not activate the sear in a full auto weapon.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I'm bowing out on this one. I've seen people dance around the question about full-auto conversions and the legalities. Not saying this is happening here, but to me this is a perfect situation for someone to take quotes (maybe out of context) and shutter sites like TFF for being a place to learn how to skirt the law or make illegal conversions. TFF isn't a place like that, but I can see someone fishing around and digging up something to use against us to silence us. Carry on!

Winchester94 and ral357 like this.
  4. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Yes, 5

5. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Sorry about the LPK. It seems like it was yesterday that I was amazed at how an AR functioned and had no idea how they came apart. A few years ago I got armorer certified on them. That being said, there are so many abbreviations in the gun world that it reminds me of the grand kids shorthand's for their phones.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I believe the term ATF uses is "substantive construction" - in other words if you've got all the bits and pieces to assemble an SBR you're in possession of an unregistered untaxed SBR.

ScrapMetal, zant and ral357 like this.
  7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I definitely would error on the side of caution. They will argue that there is intent to install, why else have it. Look at AR pistols, you better not have a short barrel upper, a rifle lower and no pistol lower. What looks like a grey area to us can and will be clear to them if it suits there wishes. Play those games at your own peril.
    This begs the question why have the item in your possession if you do not intend on using it for its designed purpose? Seems like the potential for trouble outweighs the benefit.

shootbrownelk, Alpo and nmckenzie like this.
  8. zant

zant Well-Known Member

You are correct...I was a SOT for 7yrs-had people ask these questions every day-if they said a local ATF office told them different-my reply:Get a Letter from Tech Branch in DC or have local ATF put THEIR opinion on an offical letterhead-they would always refuse.I have watched a video in the courtroom of ATF putting a 6ft breaker bar on a welded(NOT PINNED)flashider-it twisted off-making rifle an illegal SBR-20k fine/no jail time.
    If we have a forum in which we can't discuss legal issues-what's the use???
    And my last peeve-Trigger control-seems to be a misconception that FA weapons can only be fired using every round in belt/magazine-try using trigger control-singles/doubles/no problem

shootbrownelk and ral357 like this.
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Freon has destroyed more than bullet fed FA`s...
    Carnival BB machineguns of my youth.
    :machinegunner:

shootbrownelk likes this.