The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .50 cal rifled barrel that I use for dear hunting. Is there anything wrong with shooting shot from the barrel. I want to go squirrel hunting with it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've fired .22 shotshells from a revolver (don't feed well in a semi-auto), and what happens is that the shot spreads out very quickly due to the spin. Gotta be within 20 ft or less to be effective. Less than 10 ft is better. Not much good for anything except close encounters with snakes. ;)

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
I have a .50 cal rifled barrel that I use for dear hunting. Is there anything wrong with shooting shot from the barrel. I want to go squirrel hunting with it.
Doesn't hurt anything other than some lead fouling the rifling, but the spin will make your pattern useless at really close range ....I mean like 10 yards

·
Administrator
32,491 Posts
I've hunted Squirrel with a custom .58 Hawken.
Now, you don't hit the Squirrel, you bark them.

Graze the limb close to the Squirrel's head, the flying bark will kill them.
Just be sure and not pick them up before you know for a fact they are dead.

It takes some practice but it works with proper shot placement.

A .32 head shot works much better so it may be time to start looking for a new rifle. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might have to practice the bark shot. Sounds fun.

I know what you mean about making sure their dead. I hit a buck with my car a few years back. He slid on the payment about 100ft in front of my vehicle and then stopped. He moved his head awhile and then I didn't notice any movement. A group of young guys stopped and walked up to it. They were standing up close and personal to the buck when it jumped up on all fours, snorted and ran away. Scared those guys to death. One fell backwards in the ditch. I was laughing while I sat in my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts