The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H&R model 1904 Double Action marked 38S&W that previously was identified as being made in 1930, that I can Fit 38 SPECIAL cases into the chambers. the cylinder doesnt seem to have been reamed out or drilled through, the gun is in very good condition and doesnt seem to have been fired much if at all, I am wondering if this was some factory mistake:confused:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Doubt it. That action was never designed to handle the power of the 38 special. Its possible that the throat in the cylinders are so worn that a special would fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I failed to mention that the cylinder is stamped with the last digits of the serial number, so its original to the gun, I did mention that the gun is in as new condition, so the chambers are not worn out:)

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
First, I don't think .38 Special with a normal bullet will fit into the cylinder without sticking out the front.

I don't know about that gun, but many of those inexpensive revolvers didn't have chamber shoulders, the chambers were just drilled straight through. .38 S&W is still available, though sometimes hard to find. If the gun was made in 1930, you can use modern ammunition with no problem, but be aware that those guns were fragile and parts breakage is common.

Jim

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have a model 1904 Double Action and several 38 cal. "The American Double Action" models by H&R. All of them will chamber 38 Special wadcutter cartridges. In fact, the Iver Johnson American Bull Dog 38 revolvers will also chamber 38 Special wadcutter ammo.

If one of the above solid frame revolvers is in good sound condition you can use 38 spl brass when loading cartriges for them. The bullets will have to be wadcutters seated all the way down so the cylinder can rotate. Black powder is the safesty way to go, though I have used light smokeless loads without incident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.