The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS MENTIONED IN AN EARLIER POST I HAD 2 JC HIGGINS SHOTGUNS HANDED DOWN TO ME. I HAD SOMEONE OFFER ME $75 FOR THE 20 GAUGE BOLT ACTION. I TOLD HIM I WAS LOOKING FOR $130, HE OFFERED TO GIVE ME $100 IF I MET HIM HALF WAY (ABOUT 2 HR DRIVE). IS IT WORTH IT TO MAKE THIS DRIVE AND LET IT GO FOR $100 OR SHOULD I HOLD OUT?

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THESE RANGE FROM $100-200 AND I KNOW WHAT SOMETHING IS WORTH IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IT WILL SELL FOR.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would love to have either of them, or both of them, so I'm courious as to why you want to sell them? One on line site has one listed for $200, and another site has one for $175.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
the pump has more value than the bOLT IMHO.

just me. but I buy bolt guns all the time for well under 100$.. don't think i've paid 100$ ever for a bolt shotgun. I have that exact same gun plus a few of it's brothers in a cabinet at home.. got them 25-75$ with average around 55$

Tha tmay just be my area. seems bolt shotguns are just plain unpopular here.

good luck.

2hr drive wow... tht's a 4 hr round trip. what's that costing you in fuel? seems like a 200+ MILE round trip?

if you have a car that can make 25mpg that would be 8g of fuel. gas in my area is about 3.80 per g.. so yuo are using 30$ of fuel if you get that milage and are going those miles. means that's a 70$ sale.. net...

your call.

I'd keep em for that...

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
It depends on what you figger your time is worth and the mileage you get.

Two hour trip makes a four hour round trip, plus gas, for 25 bucks? I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum! I would love to have either of them, or both of them, so I'm courious as to why you want to sell them? One on line site has one listed for $200, and another site has one for $175.
they were hand me downs and i honestly not going to use the bolt action...just not my forte...however the pump action could be my new best friend.

i had one guy tell me they were worth about $150 but would offer me $50 as he would just turn around and sell it. im not looking to sell to make a quick buck and that is why i was wondering if i should make a 2 hour trek to get the $100. at the end of the day it would end up being $75 profit but would i ever get anything better or is that my top dollar?

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
where I am, 75$ is top dollar on the boltgun.

if you could get that lcoal, face to face with someone.. I'd go for that. that 4 hr drive thing to get 100$ and have 75$ in my pocket after gas.. and all that time.

I'd have to need the money to do that...

got a local show you can hawk it at?

a pawn prober likely won't give you but about 35-50$ MAX on it. I doubt you would get 50$ honestly. thus i would not go to a pawnbroker.

now.. that said. where YOU are may be different.

here.. bolts-guns are simply not used.. they are not even truck guns. which is why when i find them.. they go super cheap. if the area you are in is more friendly to bolt s-guns. it may be a different story.

If you were local to me in florida. we could talk. Like i say. i , for some odd reason, own way more bolt sguns than a person should own.. but i happen to like them. :)

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
This is simple.
If you want $135 and the guy is offering $100 tell him you will drop to $100 and if he wants it he can come and get it.
If not you are in no hurry to sell so you will wait for someone close to buy it.
I myself do not like bolt action shot guns so to me it is only worth $25-$50.
Mike

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
I, myself, would love to have a bolt action shotgun. This particular bolt action shotgun. It's made by Tula Arsenal, especially for campers/hikers. It is a bolt action 20 gauge with a 12" barrel, a five-round detachable box magazine and a folding stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
I, myself, would love to have a bolt action shotgun. This particular bolt action shotgun. It's made by Tula Arsenal, especially for campers/hikers. It is a bolt action 20 gauge with a 12" barrel, a five-round detachable box magazine and a folding stock.
I wonder what sort of market Ivan would find for an 18" barrel version of this shotgun here in the US. Judging from the photo it'd probably meet the 26" o/a requirement without further modification. If not outrageously priced I'd bet it would sell.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
just permanently make the stock forward and call it a pistol. that's what they do with those polish 9nn i see at all the gun shows.. right? :)

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Sorry, Soundguy. A smoothbore pistol is an AOW, and they're not legal in the People's Democratik Republik of New York, either.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
buckeyes - don't sell the 20 gauge for that price plus making the drive. As other folks have posted, the JC Higgins isn't worth a lot. I paid less than $100 for my bolt action 12 gauge with shipping and FFL transfer.

The one you have seems to be in very nice condition and looks to have the adjustable choke. I'd buy it. You'd have to pack it and ship it to my FFL here in Idaho. I do like my bolt action 12 gauge and wouldn't mind one that uses a different size shell.

The price you are asking seems quite fair for that shotgun though I'd prefer another 20 bucks shaved off it to help cover shipping. My FFL does the transfers for free for me now since I build and maintain his website.

As others have pointed out, the pump action shotgun has more value than the bolt action. Perhaps I am weird though because I prefer bolt action firearms over pump action firearms :)

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
aow is only 5$ right? :)
AOW is only a five dollar transfer fee - correct.

Howsomever, NFA firearms cannot be imported.

Now, you could make your own. You could find yourself a nice 20 gauge bolt with a box mag, pay the 200 dollar "making a firearm" tax, cut it to 12 inches and put a folding stock on it.

But that's probably the only way you could get it.

Now, that feller up in Sitka could just snowshoe east. They are available in Canada. :p

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
AOW is only a five dollar transfer fee - correct.

Howsomever, NFA firearms cannot be imported.

Now, you could make your own. You could find yourself a nice 20 gauge bolt with a box mag, pay the 200 dollar "making a firearm" tax, cut it to 12 inches and put a folding stock on it.

But that's probably the only way you could get it.

. :p
yeah.. of course. i'm talking totally legit.. etc. Can't import any good things anymore. ;)

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Well, iffen you waits 'til winter, so snowshoein' would work, wouldn't the bay be friz? I mean, how does them polar bears hunt seals on the ice, if the bay ain't friz?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts