Is my brass useless?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glock man, Apr 12, 2009.

1. glock man

glock man New Member

I ask the question is my brass useless because my 9mm and 40 S&W brass was shot out of my glocks. I know there is an on going battle between glock fans and non glock fans, but I would ask people to refrain from the bashing of glocks and keep their opinions about them to their self and just ansewer the question. I have read several posts about the glock factory barrels not supporting the rounds and just wondered should I through out my brass that was shot through my glock?

2. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Keep the brass, nothing wrong with it. I have been reloading for a G17 9mm for the last year or a little longer and it's not a problem. I have friends that have been reloading for Glocks for years without any problems. Just inspect the brass before you load it for flaws like you would no matter what gun it was shot out of. Most of the problems you have heard about were with the old 40 S&W.
    Rusty

3. 312shooter

312shooter Well-Known Member

I second Rusty FN........I too have been reloading for G17 and find no problems at all, good luck!

4. glock man

glock man New Member

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity did you or your friends replace your barrels with the aftermarket barrels that have "Maximum Chamber Support". Also do you use FMJ & HP bullets only because I heard lead bullets can mess up your rifling which can lead to damage to your gun.

5. 312shooter

I shoot a factory glock no mods at all. Lead deposits in your rifling more so than copper jacketed bullets, I just stay away from it due to extensive cleaning required, I have shot most of the hornady hp and fmj's through mine - no probs at all. I prefer berry's because they are cheap jacket bullets for plinking and I always get free shipping. The only caution I can think of as far as reloading for a glock is a squib situation (lack of or no powder dropped before the bullet was seated) you and your hands will most likely suffer if you over-pressure a glock more so than with a non polymer frame.

6. glock man

glock man New Member

Funny you should mention that. A couple of months ago I was at the range with my glock 23 and had a factory round fail to leave the barrel. From what I can tell it barely left the chamber. I almost fire a second shot but thought twice and I was so glad I did. It was a Winchester FMJ. All I did was squeeze the trigger and nothing happened. So I drop the magazine cleared the chamber and the shell casing came out. I reinserted the magazine chambered another round and something in the back of my mind told me not to squeeze the trigger. This time I field stripped my weapon and look down the barrel and there it was. What are the odds?

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

312shooter:

Berry's or Rainier plated bullets are NOT jacket bullets and can NOT be loaded to the same levels as jacketed bullets. That is per Berry's own directions and I would bet that Rainier would tell you the same thing. They are flash copper plated, not separate jackets that the lead core is inserted into. The alloy content is completely different (copper plating vs. gilding metal jackets).

But that being said, if the velocities are held to sub 1000 FPS levels for almost any caliber they work great. I have been using Rainier plated bullets for over a decade and think they are great. No more digging lead out of the barrel from cast lead bullets. If your range has an environmental program they may insist you only shoot jacketed or plated bullets.

Just be careful to not load these plated bullet as if they were jacketed bullets.

LDBennett

8. 3ME

3ME New Member

No problems with brass shot from a Glock or any other semi-auto, as far as I know. I reload them all the time. Other than the square dent in the primer, I am not sure I could tell the difference!

9. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I and most of my friends are using the stock Glock barrel.
    Rusty

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yes. your brass is useless - send it to me!! :D :D

11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

12. 312shooter

LD how does one maintain such velocities with plated rifle bulllets? I nearly placed an order for 150gr 30 cal bullets just as I read your post. Don't think 1000 fps would be much fun outta my M1A !

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have qualified my post to mean handgun bullets. They sell rifle bullets in these plated bullets??? You should check with Berry or Rainier as to their recommended velocities if indeed their plated bullets are meant for rifles (??).

LDBennett

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have reloaded thousands of pieces of Glock 40 S&W brass with no problems.

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

absolutely no problems with brass fired from a glock, load up my friend.... BTW glocks suck:D