The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I'm a new member. I recently traded a 22 pistol for a U.S. arms pistol,need to know what caliber, year,and worth. I have read thru many threads and spent a few hours,but still haven't found out. It has a 3 1/4 inch barrel, nickel plated.serial numbers 42283 are on trigger guard and left handle.Wood grip handle with a top logo--looks like a hammer and can't tell what the others are.It's in excellent shape. The cylinder turns great when fired empty,but i put a spent 38 cartage in it and it stops when it gets to firing pin.That's why I wonder if it's a 32. Only going to keep it for house protection and take it hunting for a back up weapon. Any information would be appreciated..thank you and Merry Christmas..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF Hank.

If it will chamber a .38 shell, it's not a .32, and not sure what you mean by "stops when it gets to firing pin"

Maybe you are using a .38 Special empty, which is not the same as the shorter and older .38 S&W cartridge these are chambered for, and would stick out a bit?

If the serial number you list is the one from underneath left grip, it was made in 1912, so 100 years old, and not a gun I'd choose for home protection.

The grips may be from a Smith & Wesson revolver; what is the exact marking on the gun?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Looks identical to my US. Revolver .32 S&W. Mine is my truck gun and fires fine. Took some doing to find some .32 S&W cartridges though. I found a box of mixed .32 S&W at auction. What a thrill when I fired the first few rounds - they were black powder rounds! Smoke from the sides of the cylinder and flash too. Was a surprise as well as a lot of fun. Even had powder smoke spots on my shirt he he!

One thing with these revolvers - you need to figure out the mfg. date so you know whether it will fire smokeless or black powder only. SN 42283 indicates it was made circa 1930. Mine is SN 43 something. Therefore you are safe for firing smokeless. Cheaper than dirt does have .32 S&W available. These are nice little pistols - bear of a trigger pull to them, but I do love mine :)

As top value .. I paid $38 for mine just this year. Yours looks to be in in really nice shape so I'd put value at about $100-125. I doubt you'd be able to sell it for more. US Revolver Co. was the mail order business of Iver Johnson.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
One thing with these revolvers - you need to figure out the mfg. date so you know whether it will fire smokeless or black powder only. SN 42283 indicates it was made circa 1930. Mine is SN 43 something. Therefore you are safe for firing smokeless.
Iver Johnson did not introduce their U. S. Revolver mail order line until 1910, after the upgrade for smokeless powder ammo.

They discontinued the large frame hammerless in 1924 and the small frame in 1923.

If the serial no. under left grip of his gun has no letter prefix, it was made in 1912 as I stated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply hnf. What i meant by stops at the firing pin.When the spent 38 gets to the firing position the gun jams.All cylinders empty fire great.the markings are,in two lines on top of barrel first line u.s. revolver company. Second line made in the u s a. serial number 42283 under trigger guard and on left side handle under grip.And on top of handle,can't make it out but it looks like a hammer and something. Sorry picture blurry of the grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply hnf. What i meant by stops at the firing pin.When the spent 38 gets to the firing position the gun jams.All cylinders empty fire great.the markings are,in two lines on top of barrel first line u.s. revolver company. Second line made in the u s a. serial number 42283 under trigger guard and on left side handle under grip.And on top of handle,can't make it out but it looks like a hammer and something. Sorry picture blurry of the grip.
What does the spent .38 shell say on it? It should be .38 S&W or possibly .38 Colt N. P. Anything else is the wrong cartridge.

The grips are not original, and look like those from a small frame Smith & Wesson.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
anyone found a commercial source of 38SW ( 38/200 ) not 38 spl.

?

thanks?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts