The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just found a lee progressive 3 turret press in my hometown for $50. Hes selling because he has too many presses already so... Is this a good buy? no extra anything...sounds like it has an auto indexing feature and is still in working order (like brand new).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I made a mistake once. An old buddy was moving outta Alaska, stopped at my place on way south. This was before I started reloading. He told me he had a 550 he'd let me have for $150, it was set up for 4-5 calibers. I said no, wasn't really interested and he said you better jump on this one. I didn't, honestly cause I didn't even know what a Dillon was back then. Boy, I won't ever make that mistake again.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Yeah, I'd give $50 for that, and I'm not even a Lee fan.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I've owned several presses over the past 25+ years and the Lee Progressive was one of them. It was extremely frustrating as it broke every time I used it. I sold it and bought a Dillion RL550B and never looked back.

While LEE stuff is inexpensive, there is no free lunch. You get better value for your money with reloading stuff from others. LEE consistently has good ideas but misses on the selection of the materials to make them out of and the quality of the workmanship. Yes, they work, at least for awhile and many who report here like them but there are some of us that have tired the LEE stuff and now reject it because it has failed in one way or another, eventually.

But we all have budgets and we all get to choose. So either buy LEE stuff or save for a bit longer and buy better reloading equipment. You choose.

LDBennett

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have owned a lot of reloading presses over +30 years including Lee, Hornady, RCBS, etc. I use only the Dillon 550b now.

The reason for this is the Dillon just works. There is no frustration with broken parts, parts that do not function as designed, worn parts, jammed presses, etc.

You get what you pay for...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts