The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You got it for a good price. They're around 900 at my LGS. Whacha gonna do for ammo?
I'm going to scour all the online sellers for inventory and buy as much as I can afford. Maybe call around to local stores as well. Just bought a Beretta 92X last week and have somehow acquired 8 boxes of 9mm for that, so I'm hopeful I'll find some 5.56 in stock as well. Any recommendations for stores with some decent inventory?

·
Super Moderator
43,844 Posts
I get emails every day from all these "gun" places. Seems like every one of them have ammo in stock but the prices seem ridiculous to me. Here are prices from a couple of the emails I got today:

Classic Firearms - $619.99 - 1000 rounds
Grab-a-gun - $899.99 - 1000 rounds
MidwayUSA - $949.99 - 1200 rounds OR $23.99 for 30 rounds

·
Premium Member
20,664 Posts
I can remember one of the last Obama shortages. I had bought a gun and was waiting in line to pick it up. There was a grumpy older guy in front of me picking up an AR. I don't remember who made it but it was just mil-spec. He paid $1500 for it. It was the last one the store had.

I think you got a good deal. I see used ones going for $900 up here.

Van, if you want a better trigger, you are just gonna have to invest in a two stage or a "drop-in". I have several and one brand seems to work as well as the next. The one brand that I have the most of is Rise Armament (RA-140 SST). I will tell you some to stay away from - Hammerhead or any no-name from eBay.
That's my plan. I don't get to shoot it much as the range I can use it at is 60 miles away. The guys at my LGS showed me an AR that had a Rise trigger in it and what a difference it was to mine. Well worth the money.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
The guys at my LGS showed me an AR that had a Rise trigger in it and what a difference it was to mine. Well worth the money.
I have several of the Rock River Arms 2-stage triggers. I used to pay between $90 and $100 for them I believe. I don't know what they go for now. The last one was a Varmint trigger with a 3.5 lb. pull, but the National Match at 4.5 lb. is also good.

·
Super Moderator
43,844 Posts
That's my plan. I don't get to shoot it much as the range I can use it at is 60 miles away. The guys at my LGS showed me an AR that had a Rise trigger in it and what a difference it was to mine. Well worth the money.
Watch for online sales and you can find them relatively cheap. I have seen them recently for right around the $150 mark. I think the most I have paid was $129.99 for them and I have paid as little as $89.99. The last time I saw them at that price, I bought two of them. Optics Planet has them for $125.49 right now.

I have several of the Rock River Arms 2-stage triggers. I used to pay between $90 and $100 for them I believe. I don't know what they go for now. The last one was a Varmint trigger with a 3.5 lb. pull, but the National Match at 4.5 lb. is also good.
I have a couple of Rock River 2 stage triggers, they are nice, too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I get emails every day from all these "gun" places. Seems like every one of them have ammo in stock but the prices seem ridiculous to me. Here are prices from a couple of the emails I got today:

Classic Firearms - $619.99 - 1000 rounds
Grab-a-gun - $899.99 - 1000 rounds
MidwayUSA - $949.99 - 1200 rounds OR $23.99 for 30 rounds
For a newbie to AR15's, $619.99 for 1000 rounds, comparatively speaking, is a deal. Now, they just need to get more.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
I bought 1000 rds for a regular price of $360 before the shortage.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
^^^
Isn't that twice what it was not all that long ago?
Yep, three or four months ago I was paying 11.99 for 20 rounds of Norma. Now 20 rounds of American Eagle is 16.99 if it hasn't gone up since the last time I was there. I will find out today.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Welcome to the Dark side whynotme. ☻

Reactions: whynotme

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I checked prices at the LGS today and 5.56 is down a little. It's now 13.99 per 20 round box. 9 MM is still up at 29.99 per 50 round box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should be able to get a decent complete 16 inch barrel upper from a reputable vendor for about 400 and a PSA lower for 250 and have a nice 650 dollar beginner AR before bolt ons. My most recent 16 inch ar15 and 9mm AR were both 650 dollar guns bought in the last 6 months. Availability now is even better than when I put them together.

If I do more ARs in the near future will probably do more with the best complete upper I can get and a PSA lower.

·
Super Moderator
43,844 Posts
You should be able to get a decent complete 16 inch barrel upper from a reputable vendor for about 400 and a PSA lower for 250 and have a nice 650 dollar beginner AR before bolt ons. My most recent 16 inch ar15 and 9mm AR were both 650 dollar guns bought in the last 6 months. Availability now is even better than when I put them together.

If I do more ARs in the near future will probably do more with the best complete upper I can get and a PSA lower.
Hey eman, welcome to The Firearms Forum. If you read the whole thread you will see that he already bought the rifle. You have given good advice for his next one.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts