Is this a Remington Rolling Block???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Uncletedy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Uncletedy

Uncletedy New Member

45 years ago I acquired this gun from a school chum. I traded a 40 gal. fish tank for it. When I got her, she was coated with varnish. I gave her to my Father. He removed the coating, cleaned it and proudly hung it above the fireplace in his rec room. Ten years ago, after my Father died I re-acquired the gun and stuck her in my gun cabinet. Last November I decided to bring her into shooting shape. The firing pin was missing along with a trim plate. I had a firing pin made and the gunsmith tried to fire a 45/70 round. The casing split telling him that it was the wrong load for the gun. With the limited info I have been able to get, it looks like its a .50 caliber. I can not find any numbers on the gun, either under the wood or anywhere on tne barrel or receiver. At the top of the barrel, behind the sight, the letters "FB are stamped and a five digit number is stamped on the stock. If anyone can help me identify this gun and the period in which it was made, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thak you,
    Uncletedy

Attached Files:

2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

3. Uncletedy

Uncletedy New Member

Am I assuming correctly that a .43 cal is smaller than a .45 cal? We took a .45/70 round and put the bullet end in the muzzle and it was smaller than the bore of the gun. I than assumed that the gun was a .50 cal. Does this make sense to you?

4. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

could it be chambered for 44 winchester? looks kinda like a remington number four military? is there a bayonet lug on the end?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. Bob Beach

Bob Beach New Member

Your rifle looks like the No. 1 Military model Remington Rolling Block. Over 1,000,000 were made and used in countries around the world in a whole variety of calibers, including .50-70, 45-70, .43 Egyptian, .43 Spanish, and 11.7x51R as the more commonly encountered ones. It is unusual that there would be almost no markings on the rifle to help identify it. My suggestion would be to find a real gunsmith would could slug the barrel and do a chamber cast. That is how you determine the caliber. Short of that just put it back over the fireplpace. Only a fool would try to fire a cartridge that 'fits' in a firearm of unknown caliber.