The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Since the weapon in question is a breech loader it isn't a ramrod, it is a cleaning rod. No pictures of cleaning rod but the rest of the rifle looks to be authentic. Your serial number indicates it was manufactured somtime in 1880.
Just offhand I would say the folks at cabelas are not too experienced at locating info on the web. It took me less than 30 seconds to locate a site with the appropriate information. And since I own an 1873 I can pretty much tell you that yours in genuine. No body to my knowledge was making knockoffs of this particular model. If was a recent repro. it would not have U.S. Springfield Model 1873 stamped on it and it would have the name of the current manufacturer stamped on it. Take it to a competent gunsmith or check with a local club for collectors and appraisers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tanks for your replys. I have included more pictures The cleaning rod is pictured. It fits perfectly.

Do you agree it is some kind of replacement?

Also the site I will call it wing is pinned to the two risers of the site at the end of the barrel. Is pinning this the factory method?

I paid $600 for it. I did not expect purchasing it form Cabellas that the price was some kind of deal but expected the price to be fair. What do you guys think. The wood may have been refinished but maybe not. The bluing on the gun and the condition in the breech looks excellent it could not have been fired much. The gun really looks nice. Thanks for your input. Bob

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts