Is this something I should be concerned with?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 2fish, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 2fish

2fish Well-Known Member

As you know, I am very new to reloading and am still quite nervous. The image below shows a split case on a 9mm that I had reloaded.

The once fired Federal case was loaded with 147 grain RMR cprn with 3.4 grains of Unique and CCI primer with a COL of 1.135. Of the 100 I fired, there is only 1 example of this. Could this be a fluke, or am I expanding the case mouth too little/much, or odd piece of brass? Or something else? Hopefully not serious as I have 300 more of these loaded for Friday night. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

drymag and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

In my opinion, that split has nothing to do with the amount of flare you put on the mouth. I would venture to say that that particular "once fired" case has been fired multiple times for it to split like that. Especially if it was the only one out of a hundred.

3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Agreed, looks like a burn thru fissure, not a mouth split

Kody24, mikld, m77user and 3 others like this.
  4. 2fish

2fish Well-Known Member

Thank you. I generally have only shot factory loads to this point and always police my brass, perhaps I picked up a leftover from someone else.

5. soundguy

Looks slightly ballooned.. What we this fired from?

drymag likes this.
  6. 2fish

2fish Well-Known Member

RIA 1911

drymag likes this.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's either a fluke or you picked up a piece of odd brass. I wouldn't get overly stressed about it.
    Curious though, where did you get the load data?

8. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

That case bulged from the mouth back? Sorta looks like it.

drymag likes this.
  9. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

I've had the same thing happen in my wife's 9mm, and my 45 when using brass that has been reloaded multiple times. Just wears out.

m77user likes this.
  10. 2fish

2fish Well-Known Member

Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on it Friday.

From friends, I started a 3.9 and worked my way down. These are for plinking and reducing recoil so my wife will go more often. All will run at 3.1 except the Kimber Solo, 3.4 works in our 9mm's.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You seem to be going at it backwards, you don't start at a number and work down, you start at the minimum and work up.

The only manual that I have that has the combination of Unique and 147 grain projectile has the MINIMUM load at 3.7 of Unique!

carver, crystalphoto and howlnmad like this.
  12. howlnmad

I was curious because I didn't see any5hing on Alliants website for that bullet powder combination.

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  13. soundguy

To the OP, I suggest you re-read the reloading portion of your reloading manual before you load more. You are not going at this the correct way, and some powders do not react well to loading under minimums.

BlackEagle and crystalphoto like this.
  14. howlnmad

Good info right there. A below minimum load in some combinations can be just as bad as an overcharged load
    And a friends "pet load" is not the place to start either. There are other ways of reducing felt recoil.

BlackEagle and dbcooper like this.
  15. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

1 out 100 isn't an indication of poor reloading but of one bad case.

"From friends, I started a 3.9 and worked my way down. These are for plinking and reducing recoil so my wife will go more often. All will run at 3.1 except the Kimber Solo, 3.4 works in our 9mm's.
    "

One of the quickest ways to ruin a gun or lose some fingers is to get load data "from friends". While it may work 98% of the time, you, as a new reloader are betting a lot on your friend's load data. I prefer to get my data from my manuals even though your friends are well intentioned. Reloading "backwards" isn't a normal "good reloading method" either. Start at the starting load and work up. If our wife experiences too much recoil from minimum loads, perhaps a heavier gun or smaller caliber. Going outside the listed powder charges should be a method only used by more experienced reloaders that can determine if a load is detrimental to the gun/shooter...

I've been reloading for prolly 30 years (I started pre web) and I do not pay much (no) attention to any forum expert, range rat, pet loads website, gun counter clerk, well intended friends, or gunshop gurus. I get all my load data from published reloading manuals or powder manufacturer's web sites (only about 5% though). This has worked well for me and I'v not had any KABOOMS. I had a squib in 1970 but that was my fault and I now look into every case befor I seat a bullet...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017