The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, I'm a realitive new owner. 223/556, etc.. would like any tips / pointers. I know some of the basics.. IE.. I have already started adding a few goddies to it.. puleld the delta ring back got the frotn hand guard off ( plain one ), added a lower rail, and a lower foreward grip that is also a spare mag holder.. tactical swivel for a lanyard ont he front of the rail.. etc.

any pointers?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Keep it a little wet inside. Not sopping wet but well lubed. After each range session drop 2 or 3 drops of oil down the gas key hole on the bolt. this will keep the rings lubed and ready for next session. They dont need to be detail stripped and cleaned that often maybe once every 1000 or so rounds. just a wipe down with a cleaning wipe and patch the bore clean between sessions and youre golden. I am not a big fan of accessories The spare mag holder/handgrip is a good idea. 2 birds with 1 stone, but the problem i have with accessories is they get heavy real quick. and that wonderful little quick handling light AR15 carbine quickly becomes a clunky cumbersome mall ninja weapon in short order. ;)

I prefer low profile and set up dissipator style (carbine with rifle sight radius)

Heres a shot of RRA LAR-6 6.8spc. I put a 15.5" Odin competion handguard on it. Its a 16" carbne and the gas system is completely hidden beneath the monorail. Rifle weight as pictured is 8.6 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I agree with JLA on keeping the accessories down to save weight. I've gone from a basic AR to a "mall ninja weapon" and back to the basic AR simply because of the weight.

The only thing I've done to mine now is pull the handguard and install a single rail on the lower handguard for the light I keep on it.

My Grendel, on the other hand, has the bipod and a scope but I don't plan on packing that round too much.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the readi mag makes it very heavy, I don't use one anymore. By the time I get optic, light and IR laser on there, I don't want much else either. I do use a G money grip up front and of course sling, usually have a flip-up backup sight also.

Stuff like NM triggers, extended/oversided charging handle latch are nice no-weight additions. Magpul makes the latest and greatest 'tacticool' furniture also, I like their trigger gaurds an grips.

For certain keep some lube in there, a nice film of regular oil of your choice will keep her running slick. Even in the desert I use earl, just keep the dust cover closed.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep.. i'm a minimalist. it has a basic handguard.. that lower rail i installed.. and that forward grip that holds a mag. other than that it has a flip up apature sight and the front blade. it's top strap has a pic rail.. but I have no plans for it. I'm not into lasers or holo sights.. and I tend to prefer iron sights it's a point and shoot weapon for tactical defense. not 500m range shooting. If I'm not in line of sight of my 'danger' there's no reason to be shooting...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked at those extended charge handles.. almost considered one.. but since I have no optics to get int he way of charging it.. I left itwith the small one. I figure at most.. it's got the sling. will have 4 mags.. 1wich dual clamp in the magwell, and one with dual clamp in the front grip.. i may put a tactical light on it.. but havn't endorsed that idea fully... an ar 15 is not my first choice for doint a perimeter or hallway chack at my house in case of home invasion. a bullpup style shotgun is more to my liking..l for that situation..

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i looked at those extended charge handles.. almost considered one.. but since I have no optics to get int he way of charging it.. I left itwith the small one. I figure at most.. it's got the sling. will have 4 mags.. 1wich dual clamp in the magwell, and one with dual clamp in the front grip.. i may put a tactical light on it.. but havn't endorsed that idea fully... an ar 15 is not my first choice for doint a perimeter or hallway chack at my house in case of home invasion. a bullpup style shotgun is more to my liking..l for that situation..
My only comment on this is that if it MAY be used as a defensive weapon, you should seriously consider putting a light on it for nothing more than target verification in low light. If it is locked up in the safe and is not an option for a defensive weapon, then no light is okay.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
+1 for a light; A surefire G2 is pretty cheap and rugged, use a Viking tactical offset light mount. With a Gmoney grip, there's no need for a pressure switch, your thumb hits the light just perfect.

So for $50, you have a very handy and quality/bright light source mounted. I think they come with 60 or 80 lumens bulbs, you can also upgrade to 120 if you need/want.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm just not sure if this is the gun I'd rach for for a night invasion.. I'm really thinking that my shotgun is the go to... though as chep as lights are.. it's not a bad decision anyway..

interesting mid sized latch..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Keep in mind with a shotgun its hard to shoot your way thru a hostage situation. If im armed with a lighted rifle and some burglar grabs my wife or one of my children and attempts to hide his coward ass behind them, im going to show him what a sub MOA capable shooter can do.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep in mind with a shotgun its hard to shoot your way thru a hostage situation. If im armed with a lighted rifle and some burglar grabs my wife or one of my children and attempts to hide his coward ass behind them, im going to show him what a sub MOA capable shooter can do.
very true.

I -usualy- have either my 38wheelgun or one of my 380 on me anyway.. the 380 i carry used to be a p3at.. but has been upgraded to a sig p238.. wg is a 38 snub... still a long gun for a sightline will be an easier shot

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I use mine mainly for coyote hunting and got the Sig tactical light/laser/
grip to add to it.
Added the scope but since then, I've switched out the scope base.

Congrats on your AR!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey you covered over the military/police use tag.. :)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I fixed your orange spot Dale.. :)

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
went out to the range for a couple hours this am with my new carbine length ar ( m4? )

about 1 out of every 3-4 shots was a missfire.. light primer hits :(

have some failures to strip rounds from mags.. most of those were on brand new mags.

seemed to do better with a few older ar mags I had for an keltec su16c.. pus put a lil spray oil in the action.. a friends sone in law was down on leave from the army, he is some sort of ordinace disposal guy ( bomb squad ).. and he stripped my gun aboyt 3 times while at the range. I'm amazed.. he did it without looking at it, while talking to me.. in abotu oh.. 30 seonds.. :)

anyway.. nothing 'looked' wrong to him.

so far we put about maybee 40 rounds fru it.. in small lots.. due to the frequent missfires.

used the following ammo types:

federal

pmc

remington

plus some steel cases wold ( tan box )

and tula, black box, also steel.

no difference on any on the way it acted.

I had my remington 700 in 223 there.. everything that would not fire in the ar fired in the bolt gun without fail.

seller dealer is MNAY cities away and it is going to be a ROYAL PITA to get this gun straightened out I fear.

their office hours are m-f 9-5

strangely enough.. I work m-s 7-5, and some days 7-11:30pm doubles.

so this proves to be an issue :(

I called them... and while they sound nice on the phone and say.. sure.. just bring it in.. it
's a bit of an issue with a multi city drive when they are open less hours than i work.. .....

not feeling the love here on a pretty spendy rifle.... not like this is new technology... these things have been around decades..

I collect old guns.. stuff made from mid 1850's thru about 1950 or so.. some later.

I find it ironic that I can go buy a '91 mosin nagant and it fires with ww2 milsup every time I pull the trigger.

Or a POS mas 49/56 and it functions flawlessly... and yet.. spending many multiples as much on a new ar platform.. and it can't even shoot.

feeling a lil disenfranchised here..... and lemony flavored.

after this experience.. i could not reccomend an AR to anybody.

the 349$ romanian ak i picked up a couple years ago, wiped the cosmo off, and started feeding it junky surplus ammo and clips made anywhere and it works perfectly is stark contrast... :(

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hmm, that sucks!

I hate having to send a gun back, sorry to hear yours is not working properly. Usually problems are a result of magazines but sounds like it feeds fine, just light strikes?

on the ones that go bang, do they have lighter than normal strikes or do they look 'normal'? Knowingt if it's all the time or intermittent, that can help diagnose what parts are off/need replaced.

Don't give up on the black rifle yet, it's no AK or M14 as far as design; they need a little extra TLC historically. But once you get them going, they don't stop!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
hey, what flavor AR is it BTW, I looked through the thread but you didn't tell us what brand yours is?

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
That is an odd report for an AR, thats for sure. I dont hear many complaints like this. Hmmm. Tell us the name brand. Did you take it apart and clean and oil it prior to shooting? Something is wrong. I have never heard of a new AR not operating like that before....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts